The Canadian Finance & Leasing Association (CFLA) is seeking a passionate and resourceful President and CEO to provide operational and strategic leadership to the organization.
The Association delivers value to its members through four core activity areas – industry advocacy, membership information and services, professional education, and networking.
The opportunity is well suited to an individual with a senior management background, who has legal experience, and who brings involvement in government relations and knowledge of membership-based organizations.
CFLA is a national industry association serving corporate members who represent over $350 billion in assets financed in Canada. The CFLA’s purpose is to promote, develop, and encourage the business of asset financing and to encourage and advance the interests of parties engaged in the business of asset financing.
Industry advocacy is at the core of the CFLA value proposition. The President and CEO is responsible to successfully advance issues and positions at provincial and federal levels of government. Influencing decision makers on content and the direction of public policy affecting members is essential to effectiveness. Candidates will have experience managing issues with substantive knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes. A record of effectiveness with advocacy initiatives at the provincial and federal levels of government is required, including experience with the process of public policy development.
The President and CEO is also expected to coordinate and disseminate relevant, timely information to members on issues present and emerging. The ability to anticipate and recognize trends, synthesize data, and understand implications, is required. Changes in the construct and application of legal, accounting, and taxation matters are of particular interest to the members, as are issues related to regulation, consolidation, and political activity in the sector. The President and CEO will possess a near-insatiable interest in ideas, events, and their possible connections.
Leveraging thought leadership from members of the board of directors and members-at-large is ongoing and necessary. The President and CEO works closely with and must maintain highly effective relationships with the chairman, executive committee, board of directors, committees, and a full-time staff of four. The President and CEO will be persuasive, collaborative, and professional with a high degree of integrity.
Additional Experience & Qualifications
In addition to senior management experience in a comparable setting and a background in law, candidates will have -
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build positions on key issues and advocate for results.
- Superior presentation and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; a warm and engaging personality.
- High degree of detail orientation.
- Ability to earn trust and successfully manage key stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to identify emerging issues and trends.
- Business acumen with respect to planning, budgeting, and oversight of all aspects of the association’s revenues, expenditures, reserves and investments.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, with solid negotiation and consensus-building skills.
- Effective leadership skills and supervisory management experience with a focus on coaching and the development of others.
- Commitment to service excellence in all member interaction.
As the CFLA is a national organization, French-English bilingualism is strongly preferred. CFLA’s office is in downtown Toronto.
Information about the CFLA is available at www.cfla-acfl.ca
Qualified candidates are invited to apply with a résumé, cover letter, and statement of compensation expectation, in confidence, to –
The Portage Group Inc.
Attention: Jack Shand, CMC, CAE, Executive Partner
Applications will be received through February 27, 2017. Individuals selected for interview will be contacted no later than early March.