Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications and Member Engagement Coordinator leads CSTA’s internal and external communication and member engagement to build on CSTA’s strong reputation as a trusted partner in the agri-food value chain. This position is responsible for building strong engagement with CSTA members to achieve active involvement in the organization to leverage our strengths across all areas of the seed industry.
We are seeking a full time, highly collaborative individual with a can-do attitude, to become a key member of CSTA’s staff team, located in our office in Ottawa, Ontario.
Member Engagement – Develop and initiate activities to increase member awareness and engagement. Identifies issues of common interest and importance to CSTA member companies. Lead regular member communications including our weekly newsletter. Develop, implement and monitor CSTA’s member recruitment and retention activities.
Communications and Public Relations – Responsible for CSTA’s communication with members and external stakeholders including media. Primary staff support for CSTA’s Stakeholder Relations Working Group. Manage CSTA’s website and social media activities. Develop written materials including news releases, technical reports, media statements and speaking notes for CSTA representatives.
External Representation and Value Chain Engagement – Build strong working relationships with value chain partners and seek out alliances that achieve CSTA’s strategic goals. Organize and coordinate CSTA’s involvement in external organizations, committees, and working groups. Coordinate with CSTA members to ensure they are equipped to effectively represent the organization on external organizations, committees and working groups.
Additional Responsibilities – Work closely with CSTA staff team to deliver on the goals of CSTA’s Strategic Plan and CSTA’s Key Annual Events. Work as part of the CSTA Staff team on organizational, policy, and regulatory issues, and contribute to the overall good management of the CSTA organization.
Qualifications and Key Attributes:
We are seeking a results-oriented communications specialist with 3+ years of experience and a track record of developing strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to understand, synthesize, and communicate technical information in a manner that effectively reaches target audiences (members, agricultural stakeholders, the public and government). The role requires well-developed communications skills, the ability to work independently and to deliver high quality work, often under tight deadlines, as a member of a high-performance team in a dynamic environment.
- University or college degree specializing in communications, marketing, science, or business and an understanding of the agriculture industry in Canada. Knowledge of the Canadian seed industry is an asset
- 3+ years of progressive work experience in a related role
- Bilingual in French and English desirable
- Experience working with a membership based organization and a Board of Directors is an asset
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to meet deadlines and execute on projects in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment and see projects through to completion
- Must be a strong team player, with the ability to work independently
- Capable maintaining confidentiality of information
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and related software, and the ability to manage website content
- Some travel across Canada is required for events and meetings
This is an exciting career opportunity that offers the potential for further growth. CSTA offers a dynamic work environment, with competitive salary, benefits, and professional development opportunities.