Reporting to the Program Director, the Manager, Market Development and Sales position will be the key driver of membership sales behind the association’s largest revenue source: the Green Key Eco-Rating and Green Key Meetings Programs.
The environmental certification body, Green Key Global (www.greenkeyglobal.com), is managed and delivered by the Hotel Association of Canada (HAC). This key member program offers hotels and lodging facilities the ability to track their environmental practices with an affordable, easy to use tool that produces an eco-rating for each property (1-5 green keys). The rating allows hotels and event spaces to understand their environmental footprint and identify ways to become more sustainable. Those with a high green key rating can market themselves accordingly and attract green guests.
Since its inception in 1997, the program has been hugely successful in Canada, and it is well positioned for expansion. The successful candidate will work closely with the Program Director and the President to develop business leads, identify market opportunities and drive the continued success of this program.
The Manager, Market Development and Sales will also support other revenue generating projects such as strategic partnerships and sponsorship on a project-specific basis.
This position demands a capacity to learn quickly, with a strong sales acumen and the ability to deal professionally with various stakeholders.
- Generate revenue by selling new memberships to the Green Key Program. Annual growth targets apply.
- Manage and develop new supplier members, strategic partnerships, etc.
- Manage Green Key revenue share agreements with key partners.
- Assist in developing a comprehensive and aligned sales plan for Green Key Global with input from management.
- Maintain current memberships to ensure existing revenue pool remains active.
- Cultivate effective business relationships with executive decision makers in key accounts.
- Identify and capitalize on new market opportunities.
- Work closely with Program Director and Support Staff to develop and implement value propositions for new and current members and partners.
- Promote the program through speaking engagements, conference participation and webinars.
- Maintain detailed tracking logs of all position-related activities.
- Forecast monthly, quarterly and annual sales revenue.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Significant experience in a sales environment.
- Knowledge of the lodging industry.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills (French is desired, but not required).
- Highly developed interpersonal and public presentation skills.
- Experience developing and implementing business/sales plans.
- Research and report-writing expertise.
- Highly organized, demonstrating an ability to execute multiple priorities within specified time-frames.
- Comfortable and professional in dealings with executive level contacts from various sectors and countries.
Must Have Strong Working Knowledge Of:
- Microsoft Office Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Skype, web meeting tools, various presentation software.
Additionally the Candidate:
- Displays integrity, a high level of professionalism and a positive attitude.
- Has strong team oriented collaborative capabilities but is equally disciplined and productive working independently and remotely.
- Ability to drive the sales process from plan to close.
- Has a proven track record in exceeding sales targets with a demonstrated ability to influence thinking.
- Strong business sense and industry expertise.
- Is adaptable and can take constructive suggestions in stride.
- Is able to travel, as required, to sell and represent HAC and Green Key Global Programs.
- An undergraduate university degree or college diploma in a relevant program.
- 5+ years experience in a market development and/or sales role.
- Experience working in or with the lodging/sustainability industry is a significant asset.