We are seeking to fill the role of Executive Director, based in Edmonton. This position reports to the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director is responsible for LESA’s overall leadership and management as established by the Board, and for the achievement of LESA’s strategic and operational goals and objectives. The Executive Director ensures alignment with LESA’s mission, vision and values, sets the organization’s strategic direction, forms partnerships and alliances, manages resources, builds culture, and mitigates risk. Working collaboratively with employees, contractors, volunteers, and members of several other organizations, the Executive Director’s primary responsibilities include:
- External Relations. The Executive Director represents LESA locally, nationally, and internationally, fostering collaborative relationships with stakeholders. The Executive Director is expected to be an active and prominent participant in the Alberta legal community. This includes maintaining and strengthening positive, productive relationships with key stakeholder organizations including the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of Alberta, and other law-related organizations. The Executive Director maintains a position of the highest credibility, integrity, impact, and communication with stakeholder groups. Frequent public speaking engagements and travel is expected of the successful candidate.
- Board Governance and Support. The Executive Director provides support to the Board of Directors and the various committees of the Board in the fulfillment of their LESA duties. This includes providing appropriate and timely advice, background information, and briefing materials to Board members.
- Strategic Planning. Key responsibilities of the Executive Director include analyzing the needs of the legal market within Alberta and planning for future changes in program and resource delivery, as well as communications and marketing. The Executive Director not only monitors the quality of existing products offered by LESA, but actively explores and implements new areas of service.
- Operations. The Executive Director spearheads LESA’s operations; this includes planning and delivering products and services, managing LESA’s resources (financial, physical, technological, and staff), and managing organizational risk. The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for developing an annual business plan and budget for approval by the Board, and works closely with LESA’s leadership team which includes the Director of Education, Director of Integration, and Counsel.
This is a unique opportunity to become the face of LESA at a regional, national, and international level, and to transform the way legal education is delivered.
OUR DESIRED CANDIDATE
Experience and Education
- Extensive work experience, preferably in complex or multi-stakeholder environments
- Proven track record of leading and empowering teams
- Strong business knowledge, including experience developing or executing business plans
- Demonstrated experience aligning operational activities to organizational goals
- Experience serving on or reporting to a Board, including knowledge of Board governance
- Law degree, preferably with eligibility for membership with the Law Society of Alberta
- Post-secondary education in business, education, communications, or other related discipline
- Your colleagues describe you as a consummate professional who continually aspires to excellence.
- You care about the legal community and want to support its members in achieving the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct.
- You are committed to lifelong learning, fueled by an internal drive for continuous improvement and a genuine desire for constructive feedback. You are highly-motivated and excited by new challenges.
- You are a skilled relationship-builder and a natural leader. Both external stakeholders and internal staff respect and value your collaborative, sensitive, and flexible approach to working with others.
- You are a master networker who continually seeks out opportunities to build contacts in the community. You have a passion for giving back. Volunteering is part of you.
- You have devised and implemented unique solutions to challenges that others might dismiss or not consider. Using a knowledge-based approach, you openly explore possibilities and systematically evaluate the viability of potential solutions.
- You have distinguished yourself as a highly-skilled communicator. Your impressive portfolio of speaking engagements underscore that public speaking is second nature to you. Your exceptional writing skills showcase your ability to communicate through a diverse range of written channels.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you are uniquely qualified to lead LESA into the future of legal education in Alberta, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Executive Director” in the subject line. Candidates whose background and qualifications fit the desired requirements of the position will be contacted directly.