Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the General Manager will be accountable for providing leadership and vision to achieve strategic, financial, and operating goals to ensure the overall success of the Centre. In conjunction with the Executive Committee, the General Manager operates and promotes the Centre to consistently meet and exceed customer expectations while achieving positive financial results. Working closely with the executive team, the General Manager will develop and recommend a corporate strategic plan to the President & CEO. This plan will articulate a vision for the Centre, identifying the challenges, opportunities, and critical issues that must be addressed to set short, medium, and long-term objectives and strategies. As a strategic leader, the General Manager will challenge and motivate all management to identify opportunities and propose new methods of improving existing operations with a focus on bottom-line results, without compromising health & safety and customer service.
Specifically, the GM will:
• Provide strategic and tactical direction to the business development and revenue generation function by developing and evaluating new initiatives and business opportunities.
• Regularly report all relevant information regarding the operations and any potential risks and losses to the President and CEO.
• In conjunction with the VP of Sales, develop strategies to advance new market opportunities.
• Working with the VP of Operations, provide overall direction and guidance to the operational activities of the organization with the objective of maximizing growth and profitability.
• Continue to promote a proactive working relationship with the LIUNA Local 506 and CNFIU Business Representatives.
• Oversee special projects as assigned by the President & CEO.
• Provide strong leadership for the facility to capitalize on the full potential of its critical resources. Enlist and engage all members of the team in the corporate vision, values, and goals.
Specific key areas include but are not limited to:
• Operations: Through the VP of Operations, the General Manager ensures there is a facility management strategy in place that speaks to the upkeep and preservation of the asset; development of major capital improvements, and renovations.
• Customer Service: Working with the Executive Team and the Director, Event Coordination, the General Manager will ensure that processes, systems, tracking tools, customer service, and delegate satisfaction are maintained with a view to continual improvement.
• Sales & Marketing: Through the VP of Sales and Manager of Marketing, the General Manager ensures there is a well-defined and executed sales and marketing strategy in place for the Centre.
• Food & Beverage (F&B): Through the VP of F&B, the General Manager will develop, implement, maintain, and seek to continually improve food, beverage, and culinary operations.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Within the first twelve months, MTCC anticipates the new GM will have:
• Seamlessly integrated into MTCC’s culture, while establishing strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Established a strong, credible relationship with the Board of Directors.
• Developed strong familiarity with the business and gained an understanding of potential risks and opportunities.
• Created strong relationships with members of the Senior Leadership group, while becoming an essential member of the team.
• Gained complete trust of the CEO, while helping to deliver on objectives as a true business leader.
• Implemented strategies which deliver revenue growth and operational efficiencies.
• Developed strong relationships with key clients.
The successful candidate must have a history of progressively increasing responsibility in management roles with large-scale, high-performing, multi-faceted customer service businesses. He/She will have experience operating as an empowered decision maker at a senior-most level and should have a history of creating and bringing new ideas and strategies to the market; envisioning multiple scenarios.
In addition, the successful candidate needs to demonstrate the ability to relate well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types and classes of employees, customers, and stakeholders. He/She should be open to differences, effective at communicating at all levels of the organization, have demonstrated the ability to build diverse networks, treat differences fairly and equitably and treat everyone as a “preferred customer”.
• Requires 15 to 20 years of progressive work experience within a complex, medium sized environment; the incumbent will have a minimum of 10 years as a senior business leader with executive level responsibility and has been successful in leading a large facility or large venue at a senior level, reporting to the President and/or CEO. The incumbent may already be operating at the CEO or President level in their current position.
• While it is preferred but not required, experience working with a Board of Directors, participating on Industry Boards, and being engaged in the community would be an asset.
• Brings a sense of vision and is strategic and future-oriented in thinking. Able to work with the President & CEO to lead the organization through the development of a strategic plan that will set the direction for the future.
• The General Manager will have the ability to inspire a senior leadership team, workforce, and stakeholders to support our vision – which simply put, is to help our clients create successful events.
• Demonstrates ability in negotiation and navigating complex environments; ability to skillfully represent the needs of the organization and to secure financial and human resources/support to fulfill business strategy.
• Ability to engage with a broad range of staff and stakeholders in the pursuit of organizational vision and goals. A highly effective team builder and leader with experience managing in a complex environment. Has a track-record of outstanding results leading and motivating a team in the pursuit of high achievement.
• Passionate about his/her work and is energized by continuing to move the business forward. Able to deal effectively with numerous deadlines and to assess the numerous tasks that need to be accomplished and establishing clear priorities.
• Goal-oriented and can keep a team focused on the end goal. Remains calm and objective during challenging times. Ability to look for alternative strategies when the business plan is not delivering results. Maintains a culture that continuously looks for ways to advance the business.
• Understands and embraces the importance of taking the appropriate level of risk in the pursuit of important achievements. Brings innovative thinking to opportunities and challenges and fosters creativity throughout the organization.
• Demonstrates an ability to relate to the operational issues facing the organization. Invests a significant amount of time developing an understanding of the business drivers and the critical issues facing the various teams. Sees opportunities and anticipates challenges, analyzes impact, stimulates critical thinking, and challenges rationale. Is considered a major contributor in the achievement of operational and strategic goals and objectives.
• Solid understanding of financial management and reporting with proven success in profit and loss responsibilities.
• Analytical, process-orientated strategist who will build a business focused on organizational intelligence and continuous improvement that ensures all decisions and growth-initiatives are metrics and measurement driven to return the highest ROI for MTCC as well as its customers and clients.
• Ability to troubleshoot, meet deadlines, negotiate, make sound decisions, and be diplomatic.
Stakeholder Relationship Management includes:
• Internally: Communicates regularly with the various internal committees, departments, in-house partners, and associates.
• Externally: Develops, maintains, and seeks to improve positive and productive relationships with suppliers, government officials, clients, potential clients, hospitality, retail and business community and other stakeholders. Develops a leadership role in the international facility and conventions industries to grow the Centre's profile and attract further business and encourage and guide discussions and debates on key industry issues. Contributes to the overall vitality and sustainability of the industry by actively participating in industry associations, teaching/presenting at educational institutions and through contributions to industry publications.
Keeps abreast of the local, national, and international business and economic climate as they relate to the Centre's business. Prepares the organization to meet the challenges locally, nationally, and internationally, presented by new trends and developments in the market. Keeps current on industry trends and cycles to ensure that the Centre has the best possible information with which to address and consider emerging issues in the convention and meetings business.
Communicates as required with key stakeholders at the City and the Province level.
• Establishes a strong profile in the community to promote the goals and objectives of the Centre.
• Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment, prioritize workloads, influence others, and meet deadlines.
• Must possess skills in customer service, time management, multitasking, organization, written/verbal communication, and interpersonal relations with the ability to effectively manage multiple and conflicting stakeholder relations.
• Exhibits the highest level of integrity; widely respected as one who is ethical and trustworthy.
Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field is required.
Compensation package will be competitive and commensurate with the skills and experience of the selected candidate.
Ryan Black, Senior Associate