Position Title: General Manager and Chief Operating Officer (“GM/COO”)
Location: Downtown Toronto, Ontario
Reports to: President & Board of Directors
Reports: Total staff of 23 (Direct Reports include Finance & Administration Manager, Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Services Manager, Events Coordinator, Membership Manager and Sports Director.)
The GM/COO is responsible for providing overall leadership and general management of the Club to ensure its smooth operation and growth. This includes setting the strategic direction and hiring staff who will oversee day-to-day operations, including the Administration, Food & Beverage, Accommodations and Sports departments and ensuring that all aspects of the facilities are kept in good working order, and that the Club is appropriately staffed. The GM/COO will set a new vision for the Club, both in terms of hard assets (building/facilities) and soft assets (membership, staffing, events, programming, etc.)
The GM/COO is expected to monitor trends (internal and external) relating to the operation and positioning of the Club and to identify resulting opportunities and issues. The GM/COO and his/her team will set the strategy and bring sound proposals to the Board that capitalize on opportunities. It is imperative that the new GM/COO has the ability to migrate from an operating to an oversight Board environment.
Professional Experience & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experiences:
- A solid understanding of membership organizations gained through a minimum of ten years of progressive management experience in club management, the not-for-profit sector or similar environments, with at least five years in a senior management position.
- Training and demonstrated experience in strategic and long-term planning, organizational development, risk management, administrative, financial and operational planning and execution.
- Demonstrated expertise in marketing including determination of successful marketing strategies for intangible offerings. This includes the definition of target markets and messaging as well as media strategy, identification of required support resources and establishment of metrics for ongoing program success.
- A proven track record of leading growth in membership sales including identification and implementation of sales strategies, preparation of sales support tools, training of support staff, establishment of a matrix to track progress of both member recruitment and retention, delivery of sales presentations and response to membership inquiries.
- Personal experience inspiring, engaging and managing the continual and dynamic involvement of volunteers and providing strategic leadership and good governance practices to volunteer boards of directors and committees.
- A track record of effective staff training, mentoring and management.
- Solid public speaking and written communication skills.
Siegel Executive Search Solutions Inc., member of the Executive Search Alliance, is advising University Club of Toronto on the basis of an exclusive consulting assignment. Interested applicants may explore this opportunity in confidence by submitting a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 30 th, 2017. The publication of this advertisement is neither an assurance that an applicant will be hired, nor that the position will be held open for any specific period of time in the event that a suitable candidate for the positon is identified at an earlier date. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those who are considered for an interview will be contacted.