The Director Operations has broad accountability for both the day-to-day operations of the organization as well as overseeing member engagement and services in order to ensure that members are informed, supported by, and work collaboratively with the DVBIA. A primary focus of the role is to oversee the operational plan and ensure effective and efficient operations by managing the day-to-day financial, marketing, facility and personnel activities as well as the programs that serve the association’s membership. The role will ensure appropriate oversight and direction is provided and that the programs/services are carried out in the best interest of the DVBIA.
This is a 13 month term maternity leave contract with some overlap and training with the current employee.
Oversees the day-to-day operations of the DVBIA by providing administrative and technical leadership to staff on financial, marketing and personnel related matters:
- Focuses on providing total support to DVBIA operations
- Ensures that the operational plan is implemented, monitoring progress, as well as measuring and reporting progress
- Directs the day-to-day financial management by establishing regular (monthly, quarterly, annual) financial results, including providing support and guidance related to payroll, invoicing, accounts payable, banking, etc.
- Handles day-to-day personnel related issues working with other Managers and the President and CEO on sensitive or unusual matters
- Reviews complex or sensitive cases in order to resolve escalated issues, consulting with other Managers and the President and CEO, on sensitive or unusual cases
- Assists in the formulation, recommendation, and implementation of organization operation policies and procedures
- Directs the review and implementation of new and revised systems, procedures, and methods that apply to areas under management
- Identifies and implements the approach(es) necessary to deliver the services effectively and efficiently
- Provides oversight, daily task supervision, coaching and advice to Direct Reports and other staff as required to ensure the programs are meeting the goals of the association’s strategic plan
Oversees the Ambassador program by assessing the DVBIA’s strategic and operational needs and acting in the best interests of the association’s members:
- Accountable for ensuring ongoing direction and expectations are communicated with the contractor(s) related to key initiatives falling under the Ambassador umbrella (e.g. Ambassadors, Community Safety & Clean Team)
- Establishes key performance indicators in alignment with the strategic plan and ensures that the contractor is delivering on them
- Meets regularly with the contractor(s) and ensures ongoing communications
- Accountable for budgeting and resourcing the program
- Works with other tourism groups to fulfill the purpose of the Ambassador program to provide an enhanced downtown experience for visitors and members
Builds relationships with community stakeholders and Association members to provide information and ensure that members see value in the services provided:
- Builds awareness of services and strengthens relationships with community stakeholders and member businesses through timely communication and contractor support (e.g., through the Ambassador programs)
- Provides perspective or expertise on the needs/concerns of the businesses in internal and external discussions or committees
Oversees the DVBIA’s member database/information systems by providing overall oversight in order to facilitate timely and appropriate communication/engagement with members:
- Utilizes member information stored in the database to strengthen and leverage partnerships
- Works with the Membership Lead to generate reporting that will facilitate sound decision-making related to the association’s members
- Develop metrics and measure results of member relationships in order to evaluate the effectiveness of plans and activities and recommend alternatives or revisions
- Works with Communications & Events Manager to ensure effective member communications
Experience & Education
- Ideal candidates will have completed a Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 – 7 years of relevant work experience. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Degrees in Human resources, Association Management, Business Administration, Finance and other related fields are preferred.
- Relevant work experience is preferred.
Salary based upon experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email by Sept 1, 2017 with the subject line "Director Operations". No phone calls please.
The DVBIA hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace.