Executive Director - Lethbridge Destination Management Organization
Job Brief - The Executive Director will engage and collaborate with the city's tourism community to identify opportunities to lead a shared vision on its tourism future, and a strategy to reach it.
Lethbridge is a progressive, growing city with a rich history. Our city has a unique, natural landscape, and is one of the most intriguing tourism destinations in Alberta. Due to our geographic location, Lethbridge has access to a range of Provincial and National parks, and world-class tourism attractions.
Are you a seasoned tourism management professional, with extensive experience in taking a new vision and mandate, and building the right structure to make it a success? If so, then this exciting opportunity to launch the Lethbridge Destination Management Organization (LDMO), is tailor-made for you. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual with significant start-up and operational experience, to establish an organization to engage the tourism sector to undertake programs and projects that will promote and foster growth, related to the visitor experience in Lethbridge. The Executive Director will engage and collaborate with the city's tourism community to identify opportunities to lead a shared vision of ites tourism future, and a strategy to reach it. We are looking for an independent, results-oriented individual with advanced engagement skills and a keen ability to transform opportunities into reality.
Reporting to the 12-member Board of Directors, you will be responsible for executing the LDMO mandate and ensuring that its operations align with that direction. You will initially be tasked with managing all of the start-up activties required to establish the organziation. This will include financial viability factors and legal requirements, plus developing a transition strategy for assuming specific functions and services from existing community tourism groups. Other activities at this stage will include developing reccommendations and an implementation strategy for the structure, objectives, staffing requirements, and human resources systems needed for the organization, as well as developing and proposing a four-year business plan.
Your on-going responsibilities will center on providing strategic and fiscal leadership to the organization, focusing on championing the implementation of the vision, desired outcomes, strategies and priority initiatives, as outlined in the Lethbridge Destination Management Plan. You will bring your industry knowledge of best practices to identify and develop programs and services, and oversee thier implementation. This will be complemented by your systems-thinking skills and ability to see the big-picture. Using your successful relationship building and communication skills, you will lead a support team to collaborate and engage with a variety of stakeholders at the community, industry, and government level. This will include serving as the chief spokesperson and ambassador for the organization. You will regularly monitor and report on operations and the progress of initiatives, while mitigating financial and operational risk. Additionally, you will lead the regular business planning process, and develop operating budgets for Board approval.
Your professional background should include:
- Advanced relationship skills that are collaboratived, responsive and supportive
- The ability to engage the community in moving Lethbridge forward ad a destination of choice
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in tourism, business administration, marketing, or related area; a Certified Destination Management Executive Certification would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years' senior leadership experience in the tourism industry and its related activities, including supervisory experience, budget development and sound fiscal management (Other combinations of educations and experience may be considered - preference will be given to previous experience working under a Board structure)
- Successful hands-on experience in establishing a new organization from inception to full-scale operation
- Effective strategic an systems/big picture thinking skills
- Current knowledge of trends and best practices in tourism programming, services, and initiatives
- Proven track record in successful, innovative program development and implementation - including the development of key performance indicators
- Advanced communication and presentation skills - both written and verbal, as well as success in public relations and working with the media
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- The ability to successfully manage and adapt to multiple priorities on a daily basis
- Political astuteness
Compensation will commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates can find a complete position description and further information at www.lethbridge.ca/LDMO
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resumer with salary expectations, to the attention of Lorna Kurio, online at www.lethbridge.ca Closing date: Friday, November 3, 2017 at 11:59pm
All candidates are thanked in advance for thier interest. Only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.