The Ontario Association of Cemetery and Funeral Professionals (OACFP) is seeking an Executive Director with outstanding management skills. OACFP requires an individual equally skilled in strategic and hands-on operational work, highly responsive to members, committed to excellent service, and effective in building relationships.
The OACFP is the leading association serving professionals in the bereavement sector and delivers value to its members through the provision of information and the sharing of better practices; education and training; networking; member communications and engagement; and as the advocate for members to the industry regulator, government, and related organizations.
The OACFP office comprises the executive director and one part-time assistant. The responsibilities of the OACFP Executive Director include:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the association and priorities of the Board of Directors through the implementation and ongoing development of business plans and the annual budget in support of the OACFP strategic plan
- Respond effectively to members and actively support volunteer leaders and 19 committees to ensure the needs of members are met
- Advocate for the bereavement sector and serve as OACFP’s ambassador to government including to the industry regulator (Bereavement Authority of Ontario)
- Develop and manage a communication strategy resulting in a high degree of member engagement and understanding of OACFP’s value proposition and activities
- Propose and implement tactics to achieve greater member participation, satisfaction, recruitment and retention
- Assist in the development and manage the delivery of all aspects of education programs and events (education will be an area of growth for OACFP)
- Handle all bookkeeping, financial reporting, banking, and other financial responsibilities
- Provide suitable office support for the organization’s needs (either home-based or in a shared executive office setting)
The qualifications of applicants will include:
- Experience in a membership organization or bereavement sector business
- Strong office management and financial background (i.e., bookkeeping/finance) with a demonstrated ability to provide high level leadership and detail-oriented administrative services
- External relations including experience with, and an understanding of, sector-specific regulation and legislation
- Public relations, media relations and communications, including outstanding writing, presenting, and speaking skills
- Technologically proficient (web, database, office applications, webinars) with expanding use of social media
- Demonstrated ability to research and act on member-needs to increase membership value (e.g., develop and expand relevant member services) including the delivery of education and networking events
- Effective relationship-builder with volunteer Boards, committees, industry members, partners, and industry stakeholders; deep knowledge of governance (this position reports to the board of directors)
- Strong sales skills
Personal attributes include patience, diplomacy, passion, and the capacity to multi-task. Success in the role requires an individual who is approachable and adaptable.
Preference will be given to individuals with knowledge of the bereavement sector.
Individuals with the required combination of professional experience and personal attributes are invited to apply, in confidence, to:
OACFP Executive Director Search Committee –
Attention Jack Shand, FCMC, Executive Partner, or Reg Watts, Consultant
The Portage Group Inc.
Please also include a statement of salary expectations.
OACFP expects this will be an employment (not contractor) relationship with the successful candidate, with OACFP separately covering all office related expenses (phone, IT, furniture, equipment, etc.).
For more information about OACFP, please visit www.oacfp.com