You are seeking a position as a Event Coordinator with an established, not-for-profit charity whose mandate to improve Canada’s urban forests clearly aligns with your own. You are a strategic thinker, able to effectively execute many events of various complexities with limited resources. You will be responsible for the inventory, development and implementation of all Tree Canada events – sponsor recognition, trade shows and conferences. You are a self-starter, comfortable with a complex and challenging role with broad responsibilities ranging from project/program management, event planning, issues management and media relations. You are an excellent communicator, a good writer, easily able to communicate with and liaise with the government and private sector.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Organize and manage all Tree Canada trade shows (approximately 10/year) including: staffing, AV equipment, shipping materials, speaking notes, etc.
- Plan, design and execute Tree Canada events (approximately 150/year mostly under Partners in Planting program) including: dates, staffing, speaking notes, shipping materials etc.
- Proactively handle any arising issues and troubleshoot emerging problems on the event day
- Conduct post-event evaluations and report on outcomes and project performance using appropriate tools, techniques and best practices
- Establish and maintain relationships with municipal, provincial and federal government officials as well as existing and potential sponsors
- Develop reports, analyses, briefings, and presentations, to ensure effective event implementation
- Assist in the development and implementation of a communications strategy to maximize event success
- Recommend strategies to manage the issues, including identifying appropriate responses and communication channels
- Maintain and develop links with local and national media outlets to facilitate good communication and improve Tree Canada’s brand
- Respond to media enquiries
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Education or related experience in event planning, communications, project management or related field;
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with another not-for-profit, government agency or the private sector
- Exemplary communication skills – written, oral and presentation as well as the ability to communicate easily with senior management in both government and private sector
- Ability to identify, analyze and resolve problems effectively and quickly
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, setting priorities and delivering expected results on time and in budget
- Respect for the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment; adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions
- Bilingualism - fluency in both English and French is preferred
Salary will be commensurate with experience and education.
This is a one-year position with the possibility of being extended into a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package.
If you are looking for a challenge and an opportunity to contribute to a unique and creative environmental organization, please indicate your interest by forwarding a résumé and covering letter addressing how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject “Event Coordinator” by February 9, 2018. Résumés received without a cover letter will be disqualified.