CHFA is looking for an Executive Assistant/Board Secretary who is able to juggle multiple priorities while maintaining strict attention to detail and ensuring accuracy. Providing day-to-day administrative support to the CHFA President and Vice President, the ideal candidate is self-motivated and proactive with the excellent organizational and time-managements skills required to be successful in a fast-paced environment. Acting as Board Secretary this individual will be responsible for identifying best governance practices and ensuring compliance with the Not-for-profit Act and Regulations. The incumbent will also be experienced in all areas of meeting preparation and logistics and should demonstrate advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point and Outlook.
The position of Executive Assistant provides day-to-day administrative support to the CHFA President and Vice President including managing an active calendar of appointments, composing and preparing correspondence, preparing background materials including the analysis and summary of reports and compiling related documents for meetings and presentations, arranging all aspects of travel logistics, as well as screening and handling internal and external correspondence, requests and phone calls. It will be expected that the incumbent is able to work with minimal direction, possess strong initiative and foresee potential issues that may arise. This individual provides support to the Board of Directors in the role of Board Secretary with responsibility for governance, meeting organization and administration.
Support and Administration:
- Coordinate, schedule and manage the daily agenda and to do list of the President and Vice- President, as well as manage weekly and monthly calendar appointments. This includes coordinating and scheduling all travel arrangements.
- Manage incoming and outgoing correspondence and calls, redirecting or actioning as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain administrative procedures and processes including an accurate, simple to access, and up to date filing system for the President and Vice President, for mail, email, correspondence and documentation.
- Collect, track, assemble and submit the President and Vice President’s corporate expenses.
- Coordinate and attend all relevant meetings and take appropriate minutes/notes when requested.
- Compile information and prepare reports and presentations as required.
- Support senior staff as required.
- Works closely with the President and Vice President on key projects and special events as requested.
- Plan, budget, oversee and document all aspects of each specific project or event.
- Develop a detailed project plan to monitor and track progress of each project or event.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors/partners for the flawless execution of projects.
Secretary to the Board of Directors:
The Secretary to the board of directors is responsible for preparing meeting packages, drafting minutes of meetings, recordkeeping, maintain director lists, fulfill any other requirements of the officers and directors, and perform other duties as the need arises and/or as defined in the bylaws and policies.
- Work closely with the President to ensure legal compliance by recording and maintaining the official records and minutes of the board meetings and making them available upon request to authorized individuals.
- Monitor governance developments and best practices and assist the Board in developing and implement policies, procedure and practices to ensure compliance and support good governance.
- Liaise with CHFA’s governance counsel as required.
- Prepare for and organize board and committee meetings and other events including CHFA’s Annual General Meeting and board election process, in collaboration with the President.
- Annually prepare and manage the board’s budget; review expenses and ensure compliance with the expense policy and budget.
- Act as a liaison between the board of directors, senior management, and other relevant parties.
- Coordinate the orientation of newly appointed directors.
- Maintain all documents that pertain to the board of directors including the director’s manual.
- Prepare and collate board packages and presentations.
- Track follow up actions to be taken on decisions and provide information back to committees as required.
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in business/office administration or relevant discipline or equivalent blend of education and experience
- Minimum five (5) years' experience providing support at the executive level
- Proven accuracy and exceptional attention to detail
- Superior communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential matters with diplomacy, tact, and discretion
- Positively contributes to organizational culture
- Professional and maintains competency and a positive attitude in a fast-paced work environment
- Work well under pressure by incorporating excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proactive in anticipating needs, planning ahead and determining next steps
- Capable of operating with minimal direction while keeping the President and Vice President informed of any changes, potential problems and/or sensitive issues
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage, work independently and respond effectively to issues that may arise
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience in hosting virtual meetings using video conferencing, WebEx or similar
- Travel will be required for trade shows, Annual General Meetings, planning sessions, etc. (5%)
- Bilingual (French and English) candidate highly preferred
- Experience in board governance
- Experience in a not for profit or association role
- Knowledge of current not-for-profit governance practices and familiarity with Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and Regulations
- Experience with event coordination including venue, food & beverage, AV, on site logistics
- Knowledge of the natural health and/or organic products industry, nutrition or related fields
Note: This job description may be changed at any time to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
Please send your resume and cover letter including salary expectations by April 20, 2018 to email@example.com using the subject line, Executive Assistant.
No faxes or phone calls, please. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.