The Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA), the national trade association representing companies that account for 99% of Canada's life and health insurance business, has an opening for a Director, Distribution Policy in its Toronto office.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Distribution, the Director, Distribution Policy serves the life and health insurance industry's interests to optimize the policy, legislative and regulatory environment affecting the industry related to distribution and market conduct issues.
The Director, Distribution Policy is responsible for the following:
- Developing and building consensus on industry policy positions by leading member company committees and working groups and providing advice and technical expertise on industry issues
- Preparing submissions or other briefings to advance the industry's interests with regulators and other stakeholders
- Maintaining an in-depth understanding of member company practices and the regulatory environment affecting distribution of the industry's products
- Maintaining and contributing to the development of industry guidelines and reference documents related to distribution and market conduct
- Contributing to a favorable image of the industry by representing the Canadian life and health insurance industry in public forums and publications
- Contributing to member education by providing staff support to plan relevant conference and other education programs
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree in a related field (e.g., Economics, Public Policy, Communications) and 7 to 10 years of related experience
- Knowledge of individual variable insurance contracts and segregated funds
- Knowledge of insurance distribution practices
- Knowledge of government and regulatory processes associated with insurance distribution and market conduct
- Demonstrated understanding of public policy development and requisite analysis to support evidence-based policy advice and decision-making
- Demonstrated experience supporting committees or working groups
- Strong analytical, problem solving, research, consultation, and advisory skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written), relationship building, customer service and representational skills
- Knowledge of securities and mutual fund products, distribution practices and regulation in Canada
- Experience planning programs for events/conferences
- Bilingual (English/French) or ability to read and speak some French
How to Apply
We offer competitive compensation and a professional work environment. Interested candidates are invited to apply via the Careers page of our corporate website at www.clhia.ca
CLHIA is committed to ensuring fair and inclusive employment practices. On request, we provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. If you require accommodation, please advise us. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.