CPCA provides effective and timely communications to better serve its members. CPCA is currently seeking a Writer/Editor to join our Communications team. In this role, the successful candidate is expected to produce high-quality content for internal and external communications and support the ongoing development and implementation of the association’s communications policy and plan. The goal is to help develop and support high-quality communications materials to advance CPCA’s mission.
As a talented corporate communications professional with imagination and solid organizational skills, you will deliver high-quality copy for web and digital media, communications planning, presentations, articles, news releases, among others. No stranger to multi-tasking and working independently, you will also be central to the planning and execution of communications-driven events such industry conferences, committee meetings, webinars, member engagement sessions and more.
Accountable to the Vice-President, you will produce timely and relevant ‘content’ for the Association’s social media accounts and e-bulletins, prepare media releases and brochures and other creative materials in support of ongoing communication initiatives. Specific areas of focus include but not restricted to the following:
- Working with staff, provide assistance in the development of clear and effective communications to target audiences in support of the association’s work including articles, blogs, social media content, event planning and promotion, outreach materials, advertising, etc
- Produce and edit compelling content for communications collateral such as backgrounders, brochures, advertisements, for relevant audiences through online, print and in-person channels
- Recommend communications guidelines for all written and internet communications including style, format, font type and size, branding, and standardization of materials and related editing
- Review existing communications tools to ensure effectiveness in reaching targeted audiences and make recommendations for changes or enhancements where needed
- Assist staff in the development of general corporate correspondence
- Communicate effectively with internal team members to ensure public facing communications projects are completed within set parameters and goals are achieved
- Monitor and ensure all outreach to targeted audiences is optimized, current and in compliance with CASL requirements
- Draft, edit and Coordinate the creation, distribution, and maintenance of CPCA print and electronic publications including but not limited to:
- Monthly Newsletters
- Regular e-bulletins
- Regular press releases
- Reports and submissions
- Annual Reports and publications
- Work with internal staff and external publishers to ensure that the quality of the production for distribution meets established communication guidelines.
Social Media/Web Support
- Write, edit and solicit content for all platforms from a wide variety of sources
- Review and edit all content for different audiences across all platforms to ensure the content is fresh and relevant
- Working with staff to help compose and edit publications, press releases, advisories, and statements on relevant issues
- Develop background materials on current and breaking issues
- Working with the Vice President and other staff to identify media opportunities that will help advance the position and strategies of the association on all social media platforms, external publications, and reports
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or journalism plus a minimum 5-10 years’ writing/editing experience in corporate communications or agency setting are essential
- Along with your education and experience, you ideally bring relevant and strong writing/editing experience in areas such as research, original content development, copy editing capabilities and the ability to develop concepts independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational abilities and time management skills
- Ability to prioritize among competing goals and execute according to deadlines
- Ability to articulate complex matters in a professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit clear, engaging and grammatically correct content
- Strong computer skills and excellent knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience using various social media platforms and knowledge of social media engagement strategies
- Ability to communicate in English & French is an asset
NOTE: CPCA’s offices are in downtown Ottawa, with a competitive salary, benefits, opportunities for travel and professional developmentopportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
Kindly include references, salary expectations and quote “Writer/Editor” in the subject line c/o Rob Taylor, Vice President Public Affairs at email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed upon receipt and will be accepted until May 15, 2018. Thank you for your interest in this position. Please note that only those candidates considered for interviews will be contacted.