- The Montreal General Hospital Foundation
- Montreal, QC
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
The Montreal General Hospital Foundation is in an exciting period of growth with a strategic vision for its expansion and future success.
As part of our plan for growth and added capacity, we seek an experienced finance professional to fill the newly established role of Financial Controller with a dynamic and professional person. Reporting to the Vice-President, Finance & Administration, the incumbent will be a key member of the Foundation’s team and will join a dedicated group of professionals working to position the Foundation for future growth and success as a leader in healthcare philanthropy.
The Financial Controller will be mainly responsible for managing the accounting, financial and treasury functions of the Foundation as well as ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the donation and accounting systems. The incumbent will have under their supervision a team of two direct reports, the Financial Coordinator and a Financial Analyst. The incumbent will also be responsible for various special projects.
About the Montreal General Hospital - MUHC
The Montreal General Hospital, part of the McGill University Health Centre network, is home to the only adult Level 1 Trauma Centre in downtown Montreal, and has expertise in Trauma Care (surgery, orthopedics), Cardiology, Lung and Thoracic Cancer, Mental Health as well as other specialities. In addition, an important portion of the Research Institute of the MUHC is housed at the Montreal General Hospital site, including many researchers in the BRaIN program, thoracic cancers, allergy & immunology as well as a newly inaugurated clinical innovation platform.
Founded in 1821, the Montreal General Hospital (MGH) was the first non-denominational public hospital in Montreal and, thanks to continuous support from the community, has developed into one of the leading healthcare institutions in the country.
A pioneer hospital in North America, the MGH introduced teaching at the bedside and founded the first medical school in Canada – the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. The hospital has remained a teaching hospital for the century and a half of the Faculty’s existence. The Montreal General Hospital is dedicated to patient care through diagnosis, treatment, research and teaching.
About the Montreal General Hospital Foundation
Established in 1973, the Montreal General Hospital Foundation is a registered charity dedicated to raising and managing funds in support of excellence in patient care, teaching and research at the Montreal General Hospital. These funds are invested in the priority needs of the hospital and its patients, in accordance with the wishes of donors.
Over the last ten years, the Foundation has invested $150 million in support of patient services and research and during the 2019-2020 period, our 7,000 donors generously contributed $ 28.3 million to fund our work. In the last fiscal year, our community’s incredible generosity combined with the hard work of our foundation team resulted in us achieving an administrative expenditures ratio of 10% - well below the Canadian average from large hospital foundations.
CODE LIFE: vital support for vital care
In November 2018, the Montreal General Hospital Foundation officially launched the CODE LiFE Campaign which aims to raise $100 million by 2021, the hospital’s 200th anniversary, and we are on track to achieving this goal. Code Life is our pledge to support vital care for the community at large. This pledge acknowledges the precious nature of life. It is the symbiotic relationship between our donors’ desire to make a real difference, and the informed and unbiased selection of priority healthcare projects to support. Through Code Life, we seek to protect, heal, extend, and save lives in all the medical institutions with which we are affiliated. We aim to provide our medical teams with an environment that allows them to best provide vital care to our deserving patients and to pursue innovative research projects.
Campaign Code Life: Goal $100 million
$50 M to create the best environment for our patients and medical teams
- Modernization of the Montreal General Hospital.
- New spaces for the consolidated Mental Health Mission.
- New spaces for Innovation & Research.
- Significant modernization of clinics and patient spaces.
$50 M to help our doctors innovate in patient care and research
- Trauma Mission – Defying the odds to save lives.
- Surgical Mission – New developments with dramatic patient benefits.
- Mental Health Mission – Offering a continuum of care for better recovery.
- Medical Mission – Collaboration between key specialties.
- Research – Innovation that matters.
To reach the target of $100 million by 2021, the Foundation is fortunate to count upon the support of an experienced and highly dedicated campaign cabinet co-chaired by André Desmarais, France Chrétien-Desmarais, Andrew Molson and David McAusland, and comprised of Gregory Charles, Caroline Néron, Yvan Cournoyer, François-Xavier Seigneur, Vincenzo Ciampi, Kim Anderson, Jacques Chamberlain, Mark Smith, Gail Jarislowsky, Richard Cherney and Brenda Gewurz. Just over 18 months, we are proud to announce that we have reached over 80% of our goal.
Additional Background and Resources
For more information about the Montreal General Hospital and its Foundation please visit:
MGHF Board of Directors:
MGHF 2019-2020 Annual Report:
Key Areas of Responsibility
Specific duties for the Financial Controller include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage accounting and financial functions.
- Supervise the finance team (2 people) responsible for the preparation and analysis of financial statements and other operational and financial reports, general accounting, accounts payable, payroll and statutory reports.
- Ensure the follow-up and improvement of the accounting processes and policies and internal controls of the Foundation aimed at ensuring the integrity of the information.
- Manage the preparation of accounting and statutory audit files.
- Manage and plan cash flow, both in the short term and in the medium/long term.
- Leader in the preparation and monitoring of annual budgets.
- Prepare reports to present to the board of directors and to our business partners.
- Respond to different requests for ad hoc analyzes.
- Monitor and help develop performance indicators.
- Raise opportunities for improvement and propose innovative solutions.
- Collaborate on various special projects such as the automation of certain processes, implementation of new methods, continuous improvement.
- Support the VP Finance and Administration as well as the other members of the management team in decision-making.
- Take charge of the various issues and ensure relationships with the various internal and external stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in accounting with the title of CPA.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in similar functions including a few years in personnel management.
- Exercises mobilizing and positive leadership.
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- Good spirit of synthesis, planning, organization and responsible person.
- Ability to work in French and English (oral and written).
- Strong knowledge of the MS Office suite (advanced Excel) and demonstrated skill in the use of technologies.
- Integrity and respect for ethics and values.
- Discretion, diplomacy, ease in maintaining harmonious interpersonal relationships.
- High degree of efficiency, autonomy and thoroughness.
- Judgment and flexibility.
- Strong ability to adapt to varied assigned tasks and able to prioritize numerous requests.
- Ability to manage unforeseen or complex situations.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector would be an asset (knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge by Blackbaud).
- Experience working with a business analyst would be an asset.
For More Information
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf the Montreal General Hospital Foundation. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Sylvie Battisti, KCI Vice President, Search + Talent by email at MGHFFin@kcitalent.com or by phone at (438) 820-3496.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Please send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by August 28, 2020.
More search results
Vice President, Marketing and Communications Cana…
The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA)
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The Law Society of Manitoba
Environment Funders Canada
Sector Lead / Head, Global Training Programs -wor…
World Federation of Hemophilia - 217376
Director, Corporate Affairs
Canadian Institute of Planners / Institut canadien des urbanistes