Chief Executive Officer
- Hamilton Burlington SPCA
- Job Category
- Job Type
The HBSPCA is seeking a change leader, working with others to make Hamilton a humane community for all living things, and the best place to raise a pet. If you want to make a difference, can leverage partnerships for change, and help to support and develop the animal human bond, please consider this opportunity.
The rescue, rehab and rehoming of animals at risk has shaped HBSPCA service to community for 100 years. Today, the HBSPCA’s commitment to healthy, safe and wanted animals is guiding our role now and in the future. As a leader in the changing field of animal welfare, you will advance partner programs that keep people and pets together and engage the future stewards of a humane community. You will guide the organization through accreditation and ensure staff and volunteers are equipped for changing roles and responsibilities in the face of new needs. You will join with longstanding partners at the national, provincial and local levels advancing animal welfare policy, defining and embracing best practices, and speaking for those who have no voice. In partnership with the Board of Directors, you will be a prime mover of a building campaign for an animal welfare and learning centre serving Hamilton and area.
Reporting to a Board of Directors the President & Chief Executive Officer facilitates and provides strategic leadership on matters relating to program development and the promotion of animal welfare, including those concerning animal care and cruelty investigations. The President & CEO is responsible for the management of the organization and all its components.
- A builder with a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in progressively senior leadership positions in a like-sized nonprofit
- Strong board governance experience reporting to a volunteer Board of Directors (minimum 3 - 5 years)
- A proven track record in organizational leadership managing a team of staff and volunteer leaders
- A good understanding of philanthropy and experience in building diversified strategic fundraising programs
- Experience working with isolated and marginalized community members/social service organizations
- Strong record of managing a budget and reporting on the results
- Experience working with all levels of government officials and media
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Knowledge/capacity in the area of philanthropy & fundraising
- Demonstrated skills in strategic thinking and strategic planning
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to speak well in public forums
- Experience in advocacy
- An understanding of the role of animals as related to the wellbeing of humans
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and network with key stakeholders
- Problem solving, innovation, and vision for emerging opportunities
- Inspirational leadership
- Development of others
- Customer service orientation
- Strategic relationship management
- Strategic thinking
- Results orientation
- Managing change
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity
- Demonstrating openness and leading new ideas and innovative thinking.
• Demonstrated passion for animals and experience working in animal welfare
• BA or higher in an area of study applicable to the role or a combination of education and experience in the field
This search is being conducted on behalf of the HBSPCA by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
To submit your application by September 21, 2020, please visit: http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/. Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Questions about the position? Contact Liz Latimer at email@example.com or at 416.690.5377 / 1.866.647.5149.
Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.