Conference & Association Manager
Conference & Association Manager
Full-Time Position (flexible hours)
Victoria, BC / Remote
De Armond Management Ltd (DMLtd) has a full-time position open for a new team member with Podium Conference Specialists. DM Ltd. is a Victoria, B.C. (Canada) based company which encompasses three distinct divisions, each with their own staff and services, servicing the national and international conference market, the home heating and wind energy industries. We are looking for an independent self-starter to join us in a new position supporting our commitment to provide service excellence to our clients. Geographical location of the Conference & Association Manager position is not limited to Vancouver Island, BC; we welcome applications from all qualified candidates due to the global nature of Podium’s work.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Conference & Association Manager will provide a full suite of both in-person and virtual Conference Management planning and delivery services from pre-planning, up to and including on-site/online coordination, post event completion and reporting. Responsible for a variety of services and supports related to Association Management, coordination of board and committee meetings, officer elections implementing membership campaigns and ongoing communications. If applicable, additional services may entail coordinating online engagement events and compiling educational materials for members.
Suitable candidates will have a strong customer service background in planning and delivering conferences, and in managing the Societies responsible for these conferences. Fluency in additional languages (especially French and Spanish), and the planning of international scientific meetings are highly desirable additional assets.
Your time will be spent managing the planning and delivery of national and international scientific conferences and the Societies responsible for these conferences. Suitable candidates must have excellent interpersonal, planning, communication, website, social media, time and priority management skills. A broad knowledge of conference planning and production processes and a strong understanding of conference management techniques are essential assets. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in conference/event management, project management or industry designations.
This is an exciting fast-paced position offering a great deal of variety and exposure to a diverse group of clients and events on a worldwide basis. You must enjoy working to tight deadlines and on multiple projects with finite completion dates and be willing to travel. Your previous professional industry experience combined with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, a values-based, customer-service orientation and a belief that ‘work’ truly can be ‘fun’ will make you a positive addition to our growing team.
If you see yourself as someone who thrives in creating optimal environments for our clients and their members to share their research and make important connections and collaborations that may lead to important scientific breakthroughs, then this will be your ideal position.
- Previous experience in managing scientific, research and/or academic conferences.
- Proficiency in basic website maintenance (WordPress), direct marketing & polling tools, social media and communications planning.
- Ability to manage a percentage of digital events per month with the ability to pivot to field events when conditions allow.
- Conduct post-event analysis to optimize future events.
- Experience with Virtual Meeting Platforms.
- Knowledge of technical concepts like connectivity, stream latency, microphone pickup, and display resolution.
- Experience with both virtual and face to face delivery of large meeting and events planning (100+ attendees):
- In-depth knowledge of industry virtual tools including streaming platforms such as Zoom and wrap-around solutions such as virtual venues and tools used in delivering virtual meetings.
- Ability and interest in embracing new technologies and self-teach, as well as train other meeting managers.
- Superb verbal, written, interpersonal and relationship building skills .
- Excellent conference planning skills in managing abstracts, calls for papers, trade shows, posters, logistical coordination, marketing and communications.
- Strong understanding and experience managing basic Association affairs, including membership support, annual meetings, officer elections and other related activities.
- Strong budget development and management skills.
- Focussed, strategic approach to pursuing and selling sponsorships, exhibit opportunities and other related revenue generating opportunities.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to re-assess priorities and juggle multiple projects.
- Creative problem solver.
- Ability to create and manage project planning systems.
- Collaborative team player with a strong customer service orientation and values-based attitude.
- Ability to work under pressure and on events with finite completion dates.
- Strong computer skills in a Microsoft 365 environment including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Professional presence in all aspects of position requirements.
Preferred Qualifications: (Non-Essential Assets)
- Post-secondary education in conference/event management, project management or business.
- Fluency in additional languages.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and SharePoint.
- Experience working with Conference Manager Software, Website platforms (WordPress, SilkStart).
- Comfortable working in a Mac and PC environment.
Salary & Benefits:
De Armond Management Ltd offers a competitive salary and employment benefits package.
- Full time, Monday to Friday.
- Long days and weekends are a norm with this industry and are to be expected with this position, especially when on-site with conferences or when hosting board/committee meetings in various time zones around the world. Regular travel (domestic & international) is expected with this position. Time off in lieu is provided for approved overtime.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send resume and cover letter to Janice Nelson, People and Culture Manager: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: January 25, 2021, 4pm PST
Thank you for your interest. Please note that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
More search results
Director Public Policy
Philanthropic Foundations Canada
CSAE Pan-Canadian Young Professional Committee
Director, Government & Stakeholder Relations
Chamber Marine of Commerce
Executive Director Optimist International
Deputy Minister, Government Communications and Pu…