The Ontario Public Buyers Association (OPBA) is a not-for-profit professional association representing public procurement professionals throughout Ontario. Current membership includes 800 procurement professionals working in more than 220 public agencies across Ontario. OPBA promotes the ethical and effective expenditure of public funds and encourages excellence in public purchasing through continuing professional development opportunities, the encouragement of certification programs and through networking among members.
OPBA includes purchasing professionals from local, regional and provincial governments, as well as from school boards, universities, public safety agencies and other entities entrusted with the prudent and responsible spending of public funds. OPBA members manage and/or authorize the expenditure of millions of tax dollars on behalf of these agencies and work at all levels of responsibility in the public sector.
OPBA members are committed to sharing experience, expertise and their dedication to excellence through cooperative efforts, high ethical standards and continued professional growth through education.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the newly created position of Executive Director (ED) assists the Board in the development of OPBA’s strategic direction and ensures the successful implementation of that strategy. OPBA aspires to expand membership and programming nationally and are looking for an Executive Director who will lead, build and execute on a strategic plan that includes the following key pillars to achieve this goal:
- Elevate the brand of the organization;
- Grow the membership base;
- Provide sector leadership and advocacy;
- Increase quantity, quality and reach of Canadian public professional development programs both in Ontario and across the country and communicate more relevant and timely information to members;
- Continue to build and nurture strategic partnerships;
- Develop a sustainable business model for the organization reflecting the goal of having a national presence.
The ED position is both externally and internally focused. The ED continues to build and maintain relationships with a range of external stakeholders and seeks opportunities for the organization and its members to advance, while at the same time leading a small team, working closely with the Board in carrying out the organization’s mission.
The ED works with a wide range of external stakeholders, including Ontario, Federal and Municipal Governments and their agencies as well as partner organizations such as The Institute for Public Procurement (NIGP), Supply Chain Canada and Ontario, Recycling Council of Ontario, L’Espace de concertation sur les pratiques d’approvisionnement responsible (ECPAR), the Canadian Public Procurement Council among others. Internal stakeholders include the organization’s 800+ members, its eight-member Board of Directors, advisors and the organization’s staff.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experiences:
- A solid understanding of professional associations gained through a minimum of ten years of progressive leadership experience in the not-for-profit or a related sector with at least five years in a senior management position.
- Training and demonstrated experience in change management, strategic and long-term planning, organizational development, administrative, financial and operational planning and execution.
- Experience effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff. A demonstrated track record of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Proven skills in program management, evaluation and delivery with the ability to establish and lead successful partnerships in the delivery of services. Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- A collaborative, coaching, team-oriented operating style. Ability to build consensus, create a positive, productive work environment, and lead by example with strong interpersonal, coaching and team-building skills. Proven leadership in the management of professional staff and volunteers, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience in report writing, proposal preparation, policy development, public speaking, stakeholder and media relations. A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Strong marketing, public relations and revenue generation experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders. A proven ability to build and maintain constructive, effective relationships with a diverse and wide range of stakeholders.
- The ability to gather information from many sources and connect the dots to see opportunities and risks for the Association in serving its members, and the leadership skills to help the Association act accordingly.
- Personal experience inspiring, engaging and managing the continual and dynamic involvement of volunteers and providing strategic leadership and good governance practices to volunteer Boards and committees.
- Financial acumen with the ability to read, analyze and manage a budget.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Knowledge of Public Procurement is not required but would be an asset.
A detailed position profile is available upon request. Siegel Executive Search Solutions Inc., member of the Executive Search Alliance is advising the OPBA on the basis of an exclusive consulting assignment. Interested applicants may explore this opportunity in confidence by submitting a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and no later than August 23, 2021. Please note the position and company name in the subject line. The publication of this advertisement is neither an assurance that an applicant will be hired, nor that the position will be held open for any specific period of time in the event that a suitable candidate for the position is identified at an earlier date.
More search results
Director of Operations
Canada's Building Trades Unions
Canadian Bar Association - Nova Scotia Branch
Board Of Directors Opportunity
Direction générale et secrétaire-trésorière Assoc…
Association des enseignants/es franco-ontariens (AEFO)
Energy Transition Fund