The Canadian Bar Association BC Branch is a non-profit organization and the essential ally and advocate of all members of the BC legal community, providing professional development and valuable networking and business-building opportunities. CBABC is the voice for the profession and serves our members and their interests in advocacy by promoting fair justice systems, facilitating effective law reform, and promoting equality in the legal profession.
Reporting to the Director, Communications & Strategic Initiatives, the Manager, Marketing & Communications (M&C) develops and executes strategic marketing and communications plans to support CBABC membership growth as well as engagement in our member programs and advocacy work.
This position ensures that M&C activities are consistent with the goals and objectives of CBABC. The Manager, M&C researches the usage and effectiveness of M&C communications channels, reports findings to the Director and key stakeholders, and recommends improvements. The incumbent is an exceptional writer and editor, and has experience in digital marketing, graphic design and public relations.
The Manager, M&C works closely with internal stakeholders, including the CBABC senior management team, as well as counterparts in other CBA branch and National offices. This position supervises and supports 2-3 direct reports.
General Areas of Responsibility
This position contributes to member outreach and engagement through the development of compelling content for marketing collateral, speeches, and other membership outreach activities.
- Develop quarterly communication plans for Membership, Member Services and Advocacy
- Project manage the development of campaigns, materials and publications.
- Write advertising and collateral copy, email marketing copy, web content, articles and other materials to promote and support member recruitment and retention.
- Develop speeches/speaking notes for the Executive Director, the President and other Board members as necessary for presentations of awards, scholarships, outreach events, etc.
- Develop and review content for weekly membership newsletter, PD promotions and other regular member communications, as necessary.
- Provide staff support to BarTalk editorial board, providing thorough review and suggested edits per issue.
Media and Public Relations
This position is responsible for media relations and content development. Specific duties include:
- Act as primary contact for media inquiries, triaging requests in a timely manner.
- Develop content and manage approval process for media materials including news releases, media advisories, op-eds, key messages, backgrounders and fact sheets.
- Provide content development and editing support for advocacy platform papers and large-scale submissions, including media advisories and speech writing, as necessary.
- Identify potential issues and other sensitive inquiries to the Director, Communications & Strategic Initiatives and/or Director of Advocacy for a response decision/strategy.
- Monitor and report on media coverage.
Creative & Digital Services
Working closely with the Digital Content Specialist, this individual plans and implements digital and creative activities in alignment with our brand strategy and marketing direction across all platforms and communication channels.
- Develop email marketing strategies and support execution with content development.
- Develop content and campaigns to grow the CBABC’s presence and social engagement across appropriate social media channels.
- Oversee content management of website and microsites.
- Provide oversight and guidance on all design projects including initiatives supporting other branches of CBA.
People & Budget Management
The Manager leads the efforts of the M&C team in supporting internal stakeholders' marketing needs by ensuring available resources, guidelines and processes are leveraged and utilized effectively.
- Coach and develop M&C team including providing direction and feedback on work, setting goals and aligning work with organizational priorities and individual skill sets.
- Establish and review the performance data for campaigns and activities to measure goal achievement and overall effectiveness.
- Identify new needs as they arise and support the Director, Communications and Strategic Initiatives in implementing new resources, policies and procedures as they are developed.
- Manage the Communications team’s budget effectively.
- Assumes additional duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in a marketing or communications role
- Minimum 3 years experience in people/team management is preferred
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including the proven ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Personable, professional, tactful and diplomatic; can be trusted to positively represent the CBABC and its reputation in every interaction
- Approachable, customer-centric team player who works well in a group and independently
- Proficiency in MS Office programs, HTML and CSS, Adobe Creative Suite or similar software, social media platforms, scheduling tools and engagement analytics
Our office is located in Yaletown and readily accessible by transit with nearby Expo Line and Canada Line stops. CBABC continues to follow all BC Worksafe guidelines including communicable disease prevention plans. Staff have the option to work some days from home.
Qualified applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30, 2021. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Director of Operations
Canada's Building Trades Unions
Canadian Bar Association - Nova Scotia Branch
Board Of Directors Opportunity
Direction générale et secrétaire-trésorière Assoc…
Association des enseignants/es franco-ontariens (AEFO)
Energy Transition Fund