Position Title: Vice-President, Policy & Public Affairs
Reports To: President & CEO
Organization: Hotel Association of Canada
Location: Ottawa, ON. Office remains temporarily closed due to COVID. The candidate must have a suitable home-based workspace and reliable high-speed internet.
This is a pivotal time for the hotel industry and our organization. Our work has never been more crucial, more influential, or more valuable to our members. In this role you will lead the relief and recovery efforts that will support the sector as it builds back to record travel levels post-pandemic.
We are searching for an experienced, dynamic and results-oriented Vice-President, Policy & Public Affairs with a track record of success to join our high performing team and lead our national advocacy program.
The Hotel Association of Canada (HAC) is the leading voice of the Canadian Hotel & Lodging industry, bringing legislative solutions to industry challenges. Our mission is to enhance the prosperity of the Canadian Hotel and Lodging industry through strong member engagement, effective advocacy, and the provision of valued programs and services.
In this role, you will lead the development and execution of precise and impactful government affairs strategies and advocacy campaigns. In collaboration with the President & CEO, you will build influential relationships with government decision makers, including Ministers, key Members of Parliament, political staff and Department officials to ensure that HAC is at the heart of public policy discussions that concern the sector. You will work in collaboration with the association’s stakeholders, including provincial and partner associations.
To excel in this role, you are positive, energetic and solutions-oriented. You are switched on, calm under pressure, quick on your feet, and highly organized. You are strategic and you can aptly navigate through the complexities of Government policy and the regulatory process, understanding what move and positioning comes next. You posses excellent judgement and can build relationships quickly. You are a great public speaker and will serve as the public face for the Association at industry events/conferences and in the media, along with the CEO.
Flexibility is part of our culture. We protect family/personal time and prioritize mental health and well-being. But this Senior role will require travel and the occasional late night. It is a busy job in a high energy environment.
HAC is currently focused on three core advocacy priorities: COVID-19 relief, addressing the industry’s labour shortage and fighting for a level playing field (regulations) for online short-term rental providers like Airbnb.
- Synchronize policy and government strategies with key communications targets to ensure maximum coverage and exposure.
- Lead policy consultation exercises with members and stakeholders to ensure that the association is accurately representing the industry to government and stakeholders with timely and relevant information.
- Produce politically informed and well-researched policy documents, reports, studies and submissions, ensuring that HAC’s recommendations are considered in government consultations and policy development.
- Work in collaboration with supporting consultants on issue campaigns and government relations events.
- Track and measure the performance of advocacy activities for the purposes of reporting to the Board and members.
- Develop concise, timely communication pieces for members as policy developments occur.
- Work in collaboration with the Manager of Communications and supporting Policy Analysts to develop and execute HAC’s media relations and membership support strategies.
- Travel to represent HAC at various events within Canada and occasionally internationally as well.
- Together with the President & CEO, act as a key spokesperson with the media and at industry events.
- Post secondary education in political science, public relations, communications, or a related field. Equivalent experience also considered.
- At least 7 years of experience in public affairs and government relations.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a legislative environment and a track record of taking conceptual ideas through policy development and stakeholder consultation to the passing of legislation.
- A proven track record of building exceptional relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Excellent judgement. Acts with professionalism and integrity and demonstrates leadership qualities in challenging environments.
- A critical thinker that can understand and act to address short-term challenges whilst also recognizing long term trends and obstacles.
- Proven ability to take complicated information and disseminate it clearly to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written). Fluency in both of Canada’s official languages considered a strong asset.
- Self-directed, self-starter with the ability to manage time, prioritize and work independently.
- Able to manage multiple projects, priorities and stakeholders, and work to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience in planning advocacy events, juggling schedules and attention to detail.
- Previous experience in the hospitality or tourism industry, associations, or similar roles would considered be an asset, but not a requirement.
- Has strong team-oriented collaborative capabilities but is equally disciplined and productive working independently.
- Is adaptable and can take constructive suggestions in stride.
- Is comfortable in a dynamic environment with multiple demands on time, and is excited to lead HAC’s best-in-class advocacy program
Please ensure that your cover letter is built into your resume document. Please apply through this link: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2745270019/?capColoOverride=true
HAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and provide accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.