Government Relations and Advocacy Coordinator
The REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington (RAHB) seeks a dynamic, creative, and connected individual to help shape and develop a government relations and advocacy framework to effect change and engage members. This is an exciting role that will work along with one of Canada’s top public affairs firms.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications & External Relations, this role focuses on the execution of government and external relations activities, with a unique mix of supportive general administrative duties for a comprehensive communications and external relations department of a large member association. Working closely with the Manager, as well as other team members, you will be responsible for executing projects related to the governmental relations efforts of the association, including but not limited to awareness campaigns, drafting delegations, developing elected official newsletters, etc. This role has a focus on communications and promotion to increase the awareness of RAHB and the real estate profession to our external audiences – specifically government staff, elected officials and community partners – but also on communicating policy, procedure and governmental changes to members.
The ideal candidate will have post secondary education in political science, communications, public relations or a related field coupled with one to three years of relevant experience supporting governmental relations activities.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to)
- Assist the Manager and Government Relations Committee to execute activities to support advocacy efforts
- Effectively inform members of any changes in governmental policy, process, laws, etc. through various means
- Develop educational materials and campaigns to inform members of government changes affecting the real estate industry and our members
- Develop promotional and educational campaigns that effectively inform the public about the real estate industry
- Monitor media and social media to address concerns, support partners, monitor the activity of politicians/elected officials, etc.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator and Graphic Designer to execute campaigns on social media and other digital properties, including the development of videos
- Attend meetings with elected officials, government staff, community partners, etc.
- Take meeting minutes and develop materials for meetings when required
- Develop and report monthly metrics to measure success
- Constantly look for ways to increase the quality of resources for members, regarding advocacy, policy, etc.
- Prepare press releases for distribution and acts as liaison for media interviews
- Develop official speaking points, key messages, reports, and direction for communications for RAHB
- Assist with the digital distribution of member communications
- Assist in the preparation of write-ups, newsletters, press releases, and other communications for posting on social media and other marketing/advertising platforms of the association
- Assist with the creation, implementation and measuring of a comprehensive marketing/communications program that will enhance the association’s image and position within the real estate community and the general public
- Assist with the production of marketing materials including publications, media relations and member requests
- Assist with the editorial production of association publications
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Undergraduate education in a discipline appropriate and relevant to government relations and communications, or equivalent experience in the field
- Minimum of one to three years relevant experience in working with elected representatives, community organizations or within structured government
- Experience in using software and applications such as Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, e-mail, blogging platforms, Internet, and knowledge of new development in electronic communications
- Experience working with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Experience in document research and writing
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Good organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and work independently, collaboratively, flexibly, creatively and with initiative
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team
- Knowledge of the real estate profession is an asset
Full-time position, Monday to Friday, 7 hours per day, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with occasional overtime for attendance outside these hours at association-related functions.
COVID-19 – Mandatory Vaccine Policy in place. If you are unable to receive COVID-19 vaccines due to medical or human rights reasons, please let us know so that we can discuss potential accommodations.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter, resume and salary expectations by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 5, 2021
More search results
Direction des affaires insitutionnelles et économ…
Conseil des industriels laitiers du Québec
Associate Executive Director, Finance & Administr…
Canadian Museums Association
Executive Director, Defeat MSA Canada
Greater Moncton REALTORS®
Camp Quality Canada