Administrative Assistant, Net Zero Energy Housing
- Canadian Home Builders' Association
- Ottawa, ON Hybrid - 2 days/wk in office, 3 at home
- Salaried, with benefits
- Administrative Assistant, Net Zero Energy Housing
- Job Category
- Admin/Clerical/Customer Service
- Job Type
Administrative Assistant, Net Zero Energy Housing
Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA)
“The Voice of Canada’s Residential Construction Industry Since 1943”
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary: Commensurate with Education & Experience
Job Location: National Office – 141 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa (hybrid work model includes part-time in office, part-time work-from-home)
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
CHBA’s national office is seeking an Administrative Assistant to join its Net Zero Energy Housing team. Reporting to the Director, Initiatives, Net Zero Energy Housing, the Administrative Assistant will provide project support and coordination for various initiatives. Working closely with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, the Administrative Assistant’s role will focus on information management, documentation and reporting. This role supports multiple, leading-edge projects nationwide that seek to provide the research and demonstration of industry best practices in the field of advanced residential construction. Stakeholder groups include Builders, Renovators, Energy Advisors/Building Science Consultants, Municipalities as well as Utilities. If you are a detail-oriented and organized individual looking to join a dynamic team, do consider this exciting position to support our industry in addressing the climate change challenges and meeting the housing aspirations of Canadians!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Support Director’s administrative needs through all phases of a project lifecycle.
- Maintain cloud-based team and project management platforms, website resources, and project documentation on the SharePoint network drive in accordance with set conventions.
- Manage project records including taking and issuing meeting minutes.
- Assist with the preparation of project marketing and communications materials.
- Create processes for project information and data monitoring/collection, for project documentation and reporting purposes, including CHBA staff and project stakeholder timesheets.
- Process project contractor/stakeholder invoices, handle enquiries/discrepancies, and coordinate with financial staff to ensure payment.
- Work with the Program & Event Coordinator, Net Zero Energy Housing to ensure project meetings/events are scheduled, planned and delivered as needed.
ABOUT YOU, THE CANDIDATE
- High school diploma.
- Asset: Credentials in Administration.
- 2-3 years of recent practical work experience in administration
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of best practices in administration and/or information management.
- Asset: Knowledge of residential construction industry.
Skills and Abilities:
- Detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, with strong follow through skills to keep track of the various project events, participants and elements required to ensure deliverables are met.
- Strong ability to complete tasks to meet project schedules.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to take initiative, and make decisions independently.
- High competence in collecting data/information and organizing results, with the ability to check for accuracy and completeness.
- Demonstrated skills in juggling multiple work priorities for a multidisciplinary group of people.
- Strong interpersonal skills with both internal and external stakeholders to support the significant amount of stakeholder engagement.
- Competency with MS Teams, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Asset: Advanced competency.
- Ability to work in cloud-based project management platforms such as Monday.com considered an asset.
- Asset: Bilingual in English and French.
- Confident in communicating ideas in a professional and friendly manner.
- Team player, keen to be part of a high-performing department.
- Enthusiastic desire to contribute to the overall success of CHBA.
- Self-starter who thrives in an environment where they can be equally successful working independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Passionate about helping the industry work towards affordable Net Zero Energy Homes.
How we deliver our services
CHBA is the national level of one association working at three levels – nationally, provincially and locally. When our members join they become members at all three levels of the Association. There are over 60 constituents (local and provincial) HBAs in the Association.
Our membership is made up of over 8,500 leading companies from coast to coast – including home builders, renovators, land developers, trade contractors, product and material manufacturers, building product suppliers, lending institutions, insurance providers, and service professionals. Our industry currently represents over $180 billion of economic activity and over 1.4 million on- and off-site jobs.
The members engaged with the National Association are leaders in the industry and within the local and provincial levels of the Association – they are successful business people who volunteer their time for years to give back to the industry and support its overall success.
Each level of the Association works to support members and works with the government at its level (federal, provincial or municipal) to advance the interests of the industry and Canadians with respect to housing. The three levels of the Association collaborate to ensure a consistent approach towards real solutions that will benefit members and consumers alike.
CHBA is a federal not-for-profit organization governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership, supported by our professional staff.
At the national level, our system of Committees and Councils brings together industry experts from across the country to share information and ideas, collaborate on common issues, and to formulate recommendations to governments to improve the quality, affordability and choice of homes for Canadians.
The national office staff is a high-performance team of cross-disciplinary professionals working in a dynamic and welcoming work environment. There is a great deal of comradery in our day-to-day dealings with each other, our constituent associations, our Board leadership and its Executive Committee, and our members. We are engaged in a variety of work activities that allow us to take on new challenges and develop new skills and make use of the multi-disciplinary team we have on staff. We value a positive and collaborative work environment above all, striving for continuous improvement, and at all times treat each other with respect.
- We are naturally entrepreneurial and innovative and enjoy collaborating on new ways of approaching a task or challenge.
- We work both autonomously and together in teams, knowing that we each bring our own expert contribution to the organization.
- We are not shy about asking for help and we celebrate each other’s strengths.
We are constantly and solely focused on delivering the best services and support to our membership, in the most efficient and effective manner possible, always bearing in mind that per our strategic plan: “CHBA exists to serve the interests of our industry and to help our members succeed and prosper as they strive to fulfill the housing aspirations of Canadians.”
Located on Laurier Avenue just beside the Lord Elgin Hotel on Elgin Street, CHBA’s offices are a stone’s throw from Parliament Hill and key government agencies, where CHBA staff have meetings on a regular basis. The space offers our staff a wonderful work environment, with new office furniture, high-tech boardrooms, a spacious kitchen, casual meeting and group work spaces, a dedicated video room and more. Connected to the Emmy Apartments and Metcalfe hotel next door, there is easy access to various amenities, including CHBA discounted rates for membership at the Emmy’s fitness centre, pool, sauna and whirlpool facilities (which all CHBA staff make use of). Parking for vehicles and dedicated secure storage for bikes is available, and the location offers easy access to public transit and outdoor activity areas along the canal. Close to many restaurants and stores, the location provides quick access to Sparks Street, Elgin Street, the Rideau Centre and the Byward Market.
Hours of work
CHBA’s operational hours are typically from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, though some flexibility is available. CHBA works in a hybrid model and we follow a schedule for days in the office and days where staff may work from home. This schedule is applied in conjunction with CHBA’s Work from Home Policy, which may be modified from time to time to align with operational requirements. There is a requirement to travel within Canada to attend meetings. The incumbent may be required to work overtime from time to time given the nature of the work.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. CHBA is looking to fill this position ASAP, and will assess applications as they are received. Accordingly, there is no closing date for this posting. The application process for this posting will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applicants.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.