Canlead Solutions is a dynamic and innovative organization based in Ontario, dedicated to driving positive change in the not-for-profit sector. We are currently seeking a skilled and motivated General Accountant to join our team and contribute to our mission of promoting growth and impact within the sector.
Job Description – General Accountant at Canlead Solutions
Reports to: Finance Manager
As a General Accountant at Canlead Solutions, you will play a crucial role in assisting to maintain the financial health of our organization and supporting the effective allocation of resources. Your responsibilities will include general accounting, financial analysis, reporting, reconciliation and ensuring compliance with accounting standards and regulations.
Job Related Core Competencies
Exhibits accuracy, thoroughness, effectiveness and attention to detail
Capacity to work in a self-directed manner, establish priorities and adhere to strict deadlines
Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
Ability to work well independently and in a team setting
Demonstrates competence, thoroughness and efficiency of work regardless of volume
- Perform daily accounting tasks for Canlead Solutions, and various Canlead Solutions clients, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, banking, payroll, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining multiple accounting systems.
- Responsible for month end financial reconciliation, preparing financial statements, and management reporting.
- Assist in the development and management of annual budgets.
- Assist in the preparation for the year-end audits and financial statements.
- Process government returns, including T4’s, T4A’s, HST, WSIB, and EHT returns
- Responsible for all bank transactions, monitoring account activity, and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Complete other operational and strategic tasks, as required by the organization.
- Be assigned to Canlead Solution clients to service contractual obligations of the organization. This may involve work at the client location(s), the assignments may vary from time to time in terms of assignments to various clients and client needs, and the time commitment required may vary over time. Such assignments may be frequent or infrequent as business needs arise during the course of employment. Flexibility to undertake and complete such assignments is required.
Perform day-to-day accounting tasks, including journal entries, reconciliations, and financial statement preparation.
Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather financial data, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
Conduct thorough analysis of financial data to identify trends, anomalies, and opportunities for optimization.
Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for management review.
Assist in budgeting and forecasting processes to aid in strategic decision-making.
Ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards, regulations, and best practices.
Participate in the year-end audit process, providing necessary documentation and support.
Maintain accurate records of financial transactions and ensure proper documentation for audit purposes.
Assist in the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures.
Contribute to process improvements to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the finance department.
- Experience in financial and budget management
- Experience working with Sage 300 ERP (formerly Accpac), Sage 50 and QuickBooks
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel
- Ability to travel within the province
- Ability to work remotely
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
Active pursuit of CPA designation is considered a strong asset; CPA designation is preferred.
Minimum of 3 years of accounting experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret complex financial data.
Proficiency in financial reporting and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy in work.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
Familiarity with accounting software and systems.
Understanding of not-for-profit accounting principles and regulations.
Canlead Solutions was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation in January 2020 and is the sister organization to AAC. Canlead also operates under the direction of a board of directors. Canlead has been working with a variety of clients across the Canadian agriculture and food industry, providing a range of services from day-to-day executive director duties, financial management and board support services, management of science clusters, and one-time projects, which include temporary staffing, board and staff handbook development, governance review, returning officer services, and strategic planning.
Further information can be found on the Canlead websites: