- Ontario Environment Industry Association (ONEIA)
- Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada
- $120,000 per year
- Job Category
- Association Management
- Job Type
The Ontario Environment Industry Association (ONEIA) is looking for a full-time Executive Director to work on a contract basis, due to the planned retirement of it’s current contact Executive Director.
Founded in 1991, ONEIA is the association that represents the interests of Ontario’s environment and cleantech companies. ONEIA’s membership includes product, technology and service companies that solve some of Ontario’s most pressing environmental problems. The Association is in the midst of an ambitious new phase in its growth and is looking for a dynamic professional to build on an excellent foundation and drive the association to the next level.
Reporting to the ONEIA Board of Directors, the Executive Director will perform the following duties:
- STRATEGIC AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE: The candidate will oversee the tactical implementation of the Association’s strategic plan, reporting regularly to the Board on progress and issues arising. They will also work closely with the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee to create the annual budget for the Association and present it to the board for approval, as well as oversee the annual external financial review and creation of the annual reviewed financial statements for presentation to the Association’s Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- ADVOCACY AND GOVERNMENT RELATIONS: The candidate will closely liaise with and advise the Association’s Advocacy Committee and various subcommittees and lead any outreach to various levels of government to further the objectives set by these committees. This will involve the candidate formally registering as a lobbyist for the Association.
- PUBLIC SPOKESPERSON AND EVENT SERIES: The candidate will be the main public spokesperson for the Association, representing the environment and cleantech industry to the media, and at government hearings. As well, the candidate will oversee and play a key role in ONEIA events, including the annual Environment and Cleantech Business and Policy Forum, Environment Industry Day lobbying event at the Ontario Legislature, the annual golf and curling networking events and other events that feature political and technical speakers.
- MEMBERSHIP RECRUITMENT: The candidate will, working with the Operations Manager, Board and others, lead a member acquisition campaign to increase the membership of the Association. This will involve identifying likely member companies, approaching decision-makers in those companies and securing their commitment to join the Association.
- ADMINISTRATIVE OVERSIGHT: The candidate will oversee the work of the Operations Manager and any other contractors who provide services for the Association, setting their goals and holding them accountable for their workload, deliverables, etc.
- OTHER DUTIES: The candidate may be called upon to perform other, related duties, as required.
Candidate profile: The ideal candidate will ideally have the following attributes:
- EXPERIENCE IN NON-PROFIT / ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT: The ideal candidate will have worked at senior levels of a nonprofit organization or association and be familiar with the standard practices and legislation that covers the operation of such an organization. The candidate will be a bridge between very diverse constituencies both inside and outside the Association, so should be able to regularly and diplomatically “lead from behind” to shepherd initiatives forward;
- EXPERIENCE IN THE ENVIRONMENT AND RELATED FIELDS: The ideal candidate will have experience working with companies and their leaders in environmental, science, engineering or technology fields, so will suit either an established professional or an “up and comer” who is excited to make their mark in a visible and socially important field;
- EXPERIENCE IN ADVOCACY AND LOBBYING: The ideal candidate will have engaged governments in the past (with a network of contacts and/or familiarity with policy processes and people) and is comfortable discussing policy and industry issues with senior staffers, Ministers and others;
- AN ENTREPRENEURIAL SELF-STARTER: The position best suits someone who can identify opportunities, set their own goals and act independently to achieve them, utilizing excellent organizational and time management skills;
- ABILITY TO WORK IN A REMOTE OR TECHNOLOGY ENABLED ENVIRONMENT: The Association uses a range of technology platforms that enable its small team to run an efficient operation, including standard office suites (Google or MS Office), online conferencing (Zoom), remote payment approvals (Plooto), web event systems (Eventbrite), surveying systems (e.g. Survey Monkey), and mass-mailing systems (Mailchimp). The ideal candidate should be able to interact with such systems on a regular basis;
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Excellent written and spoken English is essential and functional knowledge of French would be an asset.
ONEIA is committed to reflecting the diversities of the communities we engage in our operating and hiring practices. Accordingly, we welcome applicants from all cultural and linguistic backgrounds and gender identities.
Scheduling, location and remuneration The contractor is expected to work up to 40 hours per week and the organization is open to flexible scheduling. This is a remote position where the candidate will work primarily from their own home office. ONEIA does maintain co-work space in the Centre for Social Innovation in downtown Toronto and most of ONEIA’s in person event are held in the Greater Toronto Area, and candidates need to be based in reasonable proximity to Toronto. Engagement will be on an annual contract basis, paying $120,000 per year, with some flexibility based on experience and qualifications.
To apply Please email a resume and cover letter, in PDF or MS Word format, to email@example.com, prior to 12:00 PM on October 11. No telephone calls, please.
More search results
Director Government Relations
Odgers Berndtson - 203282
Chief Executive Officer
Species Conservation Action Agency
Chief Operating Officer
Fraser Valley Real Estate Board
Chief Executive Officer
Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC)
EDUCATION LIAISON MANAGER/GESTIONNAIRE DE LIAISON…
The Appraisal Institute of Canada