Reports to: Executive Director, Toronto Community Hostel (TCH)
We Are: The Toronto Community Hostel (TCH), providing services to newcomers to Canada.
The Toronto Community Hostel (TCH) services include providing 24/7 transitional housing in a group setting, arranging living spaces, funding, and courses for clients to improve their English language and other skills to help them better participate in Canadian society. Over the course of a year, approximately 75-100 newcomers may use the facilities and services of TCH.
This position requires a seasoned professional with several years of experience working in community and outreach settings. The Senior Manager must establish regular workplace routines, standards, and acceptable performance benchmarks for staff. The Senior Manager must have excellent communication skills and the ability to resolve residential and/or inter-personal disputes among hostel residents.
The Senior Manager is responsible for the efficient running of the office, including 8 to 12 staff. This position ensures operational excellence and creates procedures for program activities as required and communicates with internal and external stakeholders.
We are looking for an exceptionally organized and reliable individual who can handle a variety of tasks, while at the same time creating an atmosphere that is welcoming and productive. The Senior Manager will work on projects independently from conception to completion as well as handle confidential matters with diplomacy and discretion.
- Work with TCH clients in helping new arrivals settle in at TCH and making them aware of the support services available to them.
- Arrange support services that may include funding, living spaces for them and their families and courses to improve their English language and other skills.
- Identify and resolve issues related to the available facilities and disputes among individuals and families.
- Provide regular updates to TCH clients and families about any changes to programs and services.
- Work with the Executive Director to allocate the operating budget on a quarterly basis, identify fiscal pressures, and develop options to mitigate costs within budget limits.
- Stand in for the absence of the TCH Executive Director. When acting for the TCH Executive Director, you will oversee staff and meet regularly with clients to prepare for and address any current or future needs and issues as they arise.
- An Experienced leader with in-depth knowledge of working within a community /residential system to identify and resolve issues, promote new initiatives, and encourage feedback from residential clients.
- A Graduate of a relevant post-secondary program in social service work, or have equivalent work experience.
- A Problem Solver, able to resolve issues with individuals, client groups and senior management based on your knowledge and experience working in a community-based setting.
- A Proven Communicator with strong interpersonal skills to ensure information and messages are clearly articulated and understood by both staff and clients. You keep senior management informed of responses and outcomes to conflict issues.
- A Strategic Leader with a strong background in Problem Resolution, Conflict Management and building common ground when dealing with clients that are new to Canada.
- Diligent: You possess the skills to resolve issues, disputes, and concerns.
- Technical: You ensure the program remains within budget limits, identify potential/future pressures that impact the clients and adjust as necessary.
- Dedicated: You are diligent and ensure that the job gets done properly by ensuring the right people with the right skills are involved in resolving the issue.
- Organized: You have excellent project and time management skills.
For more information about The Toronto Community Hostel (TCH), please visit www.tchostel.ca.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before October 2, 2023. Only electronic applications will be accepted. We encourage applicants from all groups as we are committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.