- 146 Crescent Rd, Toronto, ON M4W 1V2
- Job Category
- Job Type
Title: Executive Director (ED)
Reports to: Chair of the Board of Directors. Rosedale – Moore Park Association
Team Size: Office Staff (2FT, 2 Evening PT), Preschool Director, Camp & Program Director, Sports Club Manager, Pool Manager (Seasonal), Maintenance Staff (1), Accountant (1)
Location: 146 Crescent Rd, Toronto, ON M4W 1V2
Is this you?
Do you have a passion for the value and benefits of a community? Do you believe educational, recreational, social and cultural activities can be the cornerstone of a happy and healthy community? Do your peers and neighbours regard you as a community leader who, through example, can bring people together?
Are you confident in your ability to be a leader, not just in a business sense but in society? Would you be excited to work with a leadership team and Board where together you’ll have the chance to shape the direction and future growth strategy of Mooredale to continue its position as a popular community organization? A solid understanding of marketing, especially digital is part of your toolkit. You are high energy, fun, reliable, approachable, you’ll roll up your sleeves when necessary and above all, you’re passionate! Do you enjoy working with a myriad of stakeholders including the board, family members, volunteers and government?
Are you known in your work-life to be a collaborator, highly adaptable, calm under pressure, inspirational and motivational leader and, when necessary, a bridge builder? Have you been on a board, worked with a board or reported to one? Do you have a foundational understanding of board governance and operations in membership organizations, the not for profit or charitable sector?
Do you want to join forces with a passionate team who are dedicated to maintaining and growing a popular community organization in Toronto? And, would running one of Toronto’s most beloved community centres make you want to ‘jump’ out of bed in the morning? If so, please read on….
Mooredale is a well-established, member-based non-profit organization that welcomes people of all ages to experience a wide range of educational, recreational, social and cultural activities. Supported by families and volunteers, Mooredale builds on a rich history of providing programs and services to the community while embracing fresh ideas for the future. To read more about the history of Mooredale, please visit their website.
The Mooredale Values:
- Earning Trust: 70+ years of earning your trust
- Engaging All Ages: Providing engaging programs for families and members of all ages
- Creating Community Connections: Creating opportunities to connect with your neighbours
- Intentional Flexibility: Finding new and relevant ways to meet the needs of an evolving community
Developing Children and Youth: Giving opportunities for learning, exploring, and developing into next generation leaders
- Clear and Open Communication: Maintaining open and regular communication to keep members informed
- Demonstrating Respect: Respecting all the people we greet and every space we gather
- Creating Safe Environment: Being mindful of the well-being and safety of every participant
- Memories worth Sharing: Striving to provide excellent programs you want to invite your friends to join
Mooredale Activities Overview:
Summer Day Camp:
Since 1968, Mooredale Day Camp has offered a traditional, coed summer camp experience for campers 4 to 12 years old. The program is modeled around two-week sessions (with one-week options). Each day campers participate in group activities throughout the morning, including swimming lessons based on the Red Cross curriculum and taught by the Mooredale Pool Club Instructors. In 2017, the number of “camper weeks” was 910 and is at approximately 95% capacity. Mooredale Day Camp is an Accredited Camp of the Ontario Camps Association.
Mooredale Preschool provides high-quality educational programs for children 18 months to five years of age in a provincially licensed facility. Established in 1952 with Nursery School, the Preschool now offers Toddler, Nursery School & Pre-K, and Junior & Senior Kindergarten programs. These provide a creative and exciting environment where children can experience a comprehensive range of activities to encourage their development intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically.
The heated outdoor pool provides a safe and family-oriented environment for 2,000 members. Open daily from Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day, the Pool Club offers a wide range of family friendly options, from recreational swimming to lifesaving instruction classes.
Mooredale is committed to providing a range of opportunities for all players to compete and develop their skills to their maximum potential. The Club has grown significantly in the past few years, introducing a brand-new Rep Development Program (RDP) in 2013 on top of its already popular house-league and competitive teams. In 2017, Mooredale SC had a mix of approximately 750 participants in House League soccer and 350 in RDP/Competitive.
The Mooredale Sports Club also offers programs in winter outdoor hockey, flag football, box lacrosse, softball and basketball. Participation in each of these sports is in the range of 100 to 200 participants.
In 1946 the community began Mayfair -a local community fair that occurs annually on the 2nd weekend in May. The two-day event is held at Rosedale Park and includes rides, midway games, food and beverage tents and live music. This popular community event is organized through the efforts of the Mayfair Committee, with the help of hundreds of volunteers and Mooredale staff. It includes the involvement of a number of sponsors and event partners.
Mooredale also provides a wide variety of different programs (adult fitness classes, sport ball, private music lessons Monkeynastix and much more). They also partner with other organizations, either offering programs at their facilities or using their facilities or instructors to enhance our program offer. Program partners include Whitney Public School (elementary) and the Interplay School of Dance.
Since its inception in 1988, Mooredale Concerts has become one of the most exciting and successful musical enterprises in Toronto. Mooredale Concerts presents the high calibre Concert Series and the family series Music & Truffles, created for young people ages 6-11. They also operate the Youth Orchestras program with approximately 120 string students enrolled.
The Executive Director is responsible for the effective administration, financial stability and daily operation of Mooredale. Reporting to the Rosedale - Moore Park Association Board of Directors, the ED oversees an organization of ~ 24 fulltime employees, 8 part time employees, 130 seasonal employees and 35 program instructors with an annual budget of almost $4M and an annual membership of approximately 6,800. All of the revenue is generated from Mooredale’s programs, activities and entry-level membership fees.
Our successful candidate will play a pivotal leadership role in the development of long range policies and programs, approving and monitoring operating and capital budgets, supervising the staff and activities of the organization, setting and maintaining professional standards.
The ED will:
- Shape the vision and direction of Mooredale in close association with the highly effective senior staff and board
- Act as chief spokesperson, representing the organization to members, staff, volunteers, government etc.
- Articulate the goals and aspirations of Mooredale to all who use its services and to those who support it
- In addition, s/he will supervise/monitor managers, leadership staff or volunteers for the various clubs and events at Mooredale, including (Preschool / Camps / Sports / Pool and Mayfair:
- Ensure that all administrative functions are provided to support the clubs and programs, and that they are carried out on schedule and that all deadlines are met
- Plan and co-ordinate the use of on-site facilities in conjunction with Mooredale Managers and staff
- Ensure that all activity areas and departments are well-run, safe and financially responsible
- Encourage new areas of improvement and/or development for all activity areas and departments at Mooredale
- Work with managers and staff to ensure that all activity areas and departments comply with all of their respective rules, regulations and/or other industry standards (municipal, provincial, national, sport governing bodies, including certification requirements)
- Act as Mooredale representative and liaison with community Members, as well as local and provincial representatives and organizations, as required
- Prepare for Board Meetings, to provide agenda, background reports, and facilitate effective organizational structure and responsiveness
- Keep Board Members informed of Mooredale activities and areas of concern related to their portfolios or any emergency issues that arise
- Oversee and implement policy decisions and directives made by the Board, committees and/or clubs as required
- Prepare for and facilitate RMPA Annual Meeting, including nominations, voting, agenda, minutes, meeting arrangements, awards, gifts, refreshments
- Ensure that Mooredale operates following the bylaws of the Association
- Ensure that the required government reports are submitted for the corporation
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations at Mooredale
- Prepare and present annual budget, in conjunction with the accountant, for Treasurer review and Board approval
- Ensure that monthly statements are prepared by the accountant for review by the Treasurer and other designated parties including interpretive notes/comments, and that financial reports are submitted to Revenue Canada
- Arrange for audit and prepare required letters to bank, lawyer, city departments (Facilities& Real Estate as well as Parks, Forestry & Recreation) for notes to the audited statements as required in our lease with the City of Toronto
- Hire and supervise staff at Mooredale; develop work scheduling plans with staff to assign tasks and achieve effective results; establish overall budget for other department staff and ensure that appropriate performance reviews are in place
- Monitor office procedures to ensure organizational integrity
- Ensure required certification is in place as per government regulations
- Establish capital repairs and improvement priorities, coordinate quotations and supervise repairs/improvements to be done by outside contractors
- Liaise with municipal departments, as necessary, to affect capital repairs as per the lease agreement, or access programs or incentives offered
- Coordinate plan for building and set-up for Mooredale activities
- Negotiate contract for nightly cleaning, snow removal and other special services
- Supervise maintenance staff and monitor daily cleaning, repairs and any unusual maintenance incidents
Marketing and Communications:
- Develop and ensure communication with membership is maintained. Ensure that member services are provided, standards are evaluated, and all correspondence and information is accurate and handled on a timely basis
- Ensure that appropriate marketing and communication strategies and plans are in place to meet organizational objectives
- Work with designated Board Member and Staff to facilitate social media marketing and advertising
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will have:
- A deep passion and understanding of community
- A proven ability to lead a leadership team including coaching, development and delegation, and is able to work effectively with a myriad of stakeholders, an engaged but busy Board of Directors and Volunteers, and demonstrates a commitment to providing a consistently elevated level of customer service, with an acute understanding of their needs;
- A strong business acumen with a firm understanding of budgeting, finance and experience with achieving top line revenue targets and supplier relationship management
- A high level of oral and written communications, as well as interpersonal skills with a broad range of individuals and organizations, including Board members, Mooredale members, volunteers, professional colleagues and subordinates
- A solid understanding of programming specifically relatable to Mooredale programs
- Strategic thinking experience; capable of establishing direction for the organization and pursue goals and objectives in consultation with the senior leadership team and the Board
- Solid understanding of digital marketing and social media
- Access to a vehicle
Key Behavioural Competencies:
- Innovative, creative thinker who is a confident, energetic leader
- Effective problem solver and decision maker
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Resilient, patient, works well under pressure, responds positively to change and can manage multiple tasks under time constraints
Candidate’s Prior Experience
- A background in Community work and a track record of progressive senior managerial experience in an organization of comparable size and complexity with accountability for programs, P&L and revenue
- Proven ability to work effectively with boards and senior-level staff
- Experience managing and motivating a diverse, cross functional leadership team
- The ability to collaborate well with others and to promote and articulate the organization’s mission
- Knowledge and experience with camps, sports or events in a family focussed environment
If you are someone looking for an outstanding opportunity with one of Toronto’s most beloved organizations, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Lindsay Preston at email@example.com no later than August 31st, 2018. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted.
More search results
Request for Proposals - Project management and co…
Community Futures Network of Canada
Chief Executive Officer
Bruce Trail Conservancy
President and CEO
Canadian Nuclear Association
Business Development Specialist - Volunteer in th…
Chief Executive Officer
Canadian Mental Health Association - BC Chapter