- College of Early Childhood Educators
- Toronto, Ontario Canada
- Dependent on Qualifications and Background
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Chief Operating Officer
Full-Time Permanent Position
The College of Early Childhood Educators (the College) regulates the more than 53,000 members of the early childhood education profession in the public interest, pursuant to the Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007. The College establishes and enforces registration requirements, as well as ethical and professional standards. The College is a not-for-profit organization with a staff of 60 and an annual operating budget of approximately $10M.
We are seeking an experienced Chief Operating Officer (COO) to contribute to the stewardship of the College and provide management, leadership and direction to the corporate services team. As a member of the College’s executive leadership team reporting directly to the Registrar & CEO, the COO is responsible for ensuring the efficient operation of the College through the provision of comprehensive finance, IT and human resources services, as well as the delivery of key objectives in the College’s strategic plan in relation to IT transformation and financial sustainability.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Provide day-to-day management of all financial matters
- Develop and manage the College’s financial policies and procedures
- Oversee the completion of the annual audit, taxation matters where applicable, and statutory filings
- Prepare, analyze, and report on quarterly forecasts, annual budgets, and long-term financial plans
- Report and analyze monthly and quarterly financial results for CEO and Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
- Report quarterly to the Finance and Audit Committee
- Execute a major IT transformation project involving the implementation of a new online membership management system
- Supervise IT staff in maintaining reliable operations of the College’s IT hardware and software applications & licenses
- As required, investigate & recommend new applications to improve operations and where applicable, specify and implement new applications.
- Lead the development and implementation of the College’s HR strategy, including workforce planning and recruitment, total rewards, performance management, learning and development, and employee experience
- Develop and manage the College’s human resources policies and procedures
- Oversee procurement, purchasing and contract management with all vendors, providing procurement advise/support to all departments
- Manage productive relationship with general legal counsel
- Support and guide the work of the Office Administrator in the areas of property management and security, purchasing, and records management
- A Business or Commerce related university degree and/or CPA designation
- 5 -7 years management experience in operations in a not-for-profit (regulatory environment preferred)
- Expert experience developing sound financial plans, setting operational budgets and managing resources within established budgets
- Experience with IT project management, and implementation of hardware and software applications, particularly membership-based applications
- Demonstrated understanding of the occupational regulatory sector in Ontario, related legislation and College strategic direction
- Exceptional professional written and oral communication skills
- Strong inter-personal relationship skills to nurture successful relationships at all levels of the organization – staff, peers, committees and Council
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Fluency in French would be considered an strong asset
Position start: October 2018
Please submit your application online by September 14, 2018. We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The College of Early Childhood Educators is committed to providing accommodations in our hiring process for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, please inform us
in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.