Director, Government Relations
Director of Government Relations needed for our national nonprofit client located in the downtown core of Ottawa, Ontario. Our client is an established membership-based, lobbyist organization that advocates with government officials and conducts research to improve public policy. They facilitate opportunities for their members to partner with the federal government, monitor government activities and emerging issues, and meet regularly with parliamentarians and civil servants.
We are looking for an experienced Government Relations professional with experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably National Associations and/or other membership-based organizations, to lead the government affairs efforts of this organization. You will analyse federal government strategies, policies, legislation, and regulartion to determine the impact onbehalf of your members, and to provide recommendations on public policy positions to be taken by the association.
This position requires the incumbant to be fluent in French and English.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reporting to and working in partner with the Executive Director, the Director, Government Relations will support the achievement of the strategic plan of the association.
- Manages an effective federal government relations program on behalf of the organization
- Be responsible for relationship building with federal government representatives and the organization's membership base.
- Direct the work of consultants, students, and interns as required.
- Builds strong collaborative relationships with other organizations, including member organizations and with senior government officials in relevant federal government departments.
Qualifications and Experience
- Fluently Bilingual in French and English is mandatory. Ability to communicate at a high level both verbally and in writing in both languages.
- 7 - 10 years of experience in a government relations, government affairs role
- Federal lobbyist experience
- Experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably membership-based and/or associations
The successful candidate must meet the requirements to be a registered lobbyist and free from all restrictions from the Lobbying Act.
To learn more about this position, please contact Kelly Walter of excelHR at 613-230-3700 x1276. To apply for this position, please submit your application to Kelly@excelhr.com and reference “Director, Government Relations” in the subject line of your e-mail.