- Toronto, Ontario
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
When doctors, engineers, real estate brokers, or physiotherapists need help, they turn to their professional associations for the expertise and resources they need to solve their challenges. But who do those associations turn to when they need a hand?
Incorporated in 1962, the Canadian Society of Association Executives (CSAE) is Canada’s only member-based not-for-profit organization committed to delivering the knowledge, resources and environment to advance association excellence. CSAE, also known as an “association of associations,” offers robust networking and learning opportunities, including an education program leading to the Certified Association Executive (CAE®) designation. With a current membership of approximately 3,000, CSAE operates through its central office in Toronto and seven regional networks from coast to coast.
The future of associations in Canada is evolving, and CSAE is leading the way.
Now, we need your help to do that.
We’re looking for an established, collaborative finance professional with experience delivering strategic and tactical financial leadership to member-based and/or non-profit organizations.
If you’re looking for a senior position that offers the freedom and autonomy to drive lasting change in a national organization, and for thousands of associations across Canada, your search ends here.
About the Position:
As our new Director of Finance & Corporate Services, you will provide oversight and accountability for all financial and accounting practices at CSAE, as well as for our IT, human resources, and facilities services.
CSAE is in a period of evolution, and as a member of our senior leadership team, you will take on the challenge of managing our current financial transition (we’ve recently amalgamated previously discrete budget processes), while building out our long-term fiscal strategy. You’ll take a progressive, forward-thinking approach, and play a critical role in leading CSAE’s future growth and ongoing sustainability.
We’re looking for someone ready to bring a fresh perspective to an established organization. Someone who is keen to evaluate our current systems and practices, our programs and services, and make recommendations using an approach that balances both opportunity and risk.
Day to day (and with the support of one direct report) here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Developing and implementing financial strategy, and providing strategic recommendations to the President & CEO and other organizational leaders
- Translating complex financial reports into to easy to understand information to be used for key decision making
- Developing, monitoring, and reporting of the annual operating budget, capital budget, and funding plan
- Managing operational cash flow needs
- Establishing, reviewing, maintaining a system of financial procedures, methods, controls, and records, ensuring full remittance and compliance with governmental requirements
- Overseeing and directing all financial processes, including AP, AR, month end reconciliations, monthly financial statements, variance and performance analysis, forecasting, purchasing
- Preparing year end draft statements and working papers for external auditors
- Preparing financial analysis for contract negotiations and product investment decisions
- Coordinating financial audits and providing recommendations for procedural improvements
- Working closely with CSAE Finance & Audit Committee and Secretary-Treasurer of the Board to deliver on the above
- Overseeing all IT and HR support services and serving as our liaison for our outsourced solutions
- Working with our service providers to make informed purchasing decisions and approving all IT hardware, applications, and service updates and purchases
- Updating and maintaining personnel files and overseeing HR compliance
- Overseeing facilities and procurement
The financial expertise and vision that you bring will be the foundation of your success with us. If you’re someone driven to think outside the box, and passionate about working collaboratively to ensure a well-run organization now and for the future, this is the role for you.
CSAE is building for the future, and we want you to be a part of it.
Working with CSAE
This is a full-time, permanent position, offering a competitive compensation package depending on experience. Your total compensation package will include a performance-based bonus, cell phone allowance, coverage of professional association and development fees, and 3 weeks’ vacation to start (plus the week off between Christmas and New Year’s).
Our core office hours are 9am to 5pm, although you’ll enjoy flexibility to define your preferred schedule. You’ll also have the opportunity to work remotely up to 2-3 days per week.
You’ll find our office right in the heart of downtown Toronto, which means you’ll be close to everything the city has to offer. It also means getting to work will be easy no matter where you’re coming from. There is limited travel involved throughout the year for annual conferences.
As part of our talented and hardworking team, you’ll enjoy a fresh, fun, dynamic environment working with a close-knit team of 14. Our work culture brings everyone together, with a large degree of collaboration and teamwork, and a commitment to excellence that inspires everything we do.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA) is preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience in a comparable organization (i.e. member-based, association, or related non-profit)
- Experience in a senior financial role responsible for financial strategy and overseeing and delivering the full range of financial and accounting practices, including but not limited, to budgeting, forecasting, reporting, financial analysis, cash flow management, AP/AR
- Experience working with and supporting a board of directors, and Secretary-Treasurer (or similar)
- Experience leading and working with a diverse team of external service providers (IT, HR, facilities management)
- University degree in finance, accounting, or business
- English/French bilingualism is an asset
How to Apply
Please submit your application online here: https://www.fitzii.com/apply/40010?s=c1
Our online application gives you the chance to apply with more than just a resume. We’ll assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, which should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll be able to view your results.
We strive to build diverse teams that reflect the community, and encourage applications from underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment, and look forward to hearing from you.