Manager, Business Development, Green Key Global
Reporting to the President, the Green Key Global Business Development Manager is the leader of membership growth for North America’s largest sustainability certification for the hotel industry: the Green Key Eco-Rating and Green Key Meetings Programs.
Since its inception in 1997, Green Key Global (www.greenkeyglobal.com), has been hugely successful in Canada where it has over 1000 hotel property members. The program is also present in the United States where it has over 250 members. As a result of a renewed emphasis on sustainability, evident across the industry, and building upon a new four-year strategic plan, Green Key Global is poised for significant expansion in Canada and, through partnerships, in the United States.
Green Key Global is managed and delivered by the Hotel Association of Canada (HAC). This important member program offers hotels and lodging facilities the ability to track their environmental practices with an affordable, easy-to-use tool that produces an eco-rating for each property. The rating allows hotels and event spaces to understand their environmental footprint and identify ways to become more sustainable. Those with a high Green Key rating can market themselves accordingly and attract green-minded guests.
The successful candidate will work in partnership with the Green Key Global Program Manager, and under the direction of the President of HAC, to develop business leads, identify market opportunities and drive the continued success of this program from both a growth and retention perspective. This will include key account management with major hotel brands to adapt the Green Key Global Program to their requirements.
In addition to the primary role of marketing and sales for Green Key Global, this position may also be called upon to support sponsorship revenue growth and program sales for other HAC initiatives.
This position demands a capacity to learn quickly and work independently, with a strong marketing and sales acumen and the ability to deal professionally with various stakeholders. The successful candidate may work from either HAC’s Ottawa office, or from a home office in the Greater Toronto Area.
Working in close partnership with the Green Key Global Program Manager to grow the membership in Green Key Programs and maximise member retention, the Business Development Manager will:
- Design/update and implement a multi-year marketing and business development strategy for Green Key, aligned with the 2019-23 Green Key Strategic Plan
- Developpartnerships& managesenior-levelrelationships with major North Americanhotel chains
- Develop and manage relationships with government and travel industry organizations, and influencers, to generate awareness of Green Key and demand for Green Key certified properties
- Develop and manage promotional and revenue share partners across Canada
- Generate leads and convert these to new member sales for Canada, as a result of thesepartnerships
- Develop, support and coordinate sales and marketing activities with Green Key’s US Partners
- Manage and develop new supplier members (Green Key Vendors) and Green Key sponsors
- Promote the program through speaking engagements, conference participation, trade events and webinars, for both membership growth and member engagement/retention in Canada and the US
- Participate, as required, in program design activities, including member engagement and communications strategies, to support business development and member retention
- Implement & manage appropriate tools/systems to support account management & sales activities
- Forecast quarterly and annual sales revenue, and report on actual results and variances
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Significant experience in sales and marketing environments
- Knowledge of, and relevant experience working within, the lodging industry
- Proven experience developing and implementing marketing and business development/sales plans
- Proven ability to cultivate effective business relationships with executive decision makers in key accounts, ideally within the hotel industry at the corporate level (i.e. brands, management companies, ownership groups)
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including succinct report-writing
- Highly developed interpersonal and public presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to drive the sales process from plan to close
- Proven track record in exceeding sales targets with a demonstrated ability to influence thinking
Must also have Strong Working Knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Skype, web meeting tools, various presentation software
- Sales lead, forecasting and pipeline management tools
- Relationship management tools/techniques
Additionally, the Candidate:
- Displays integrity, a high level of professionalism and a positive attitude
- Has strong team-oriented collaborative capabilities but is equally disciplined and productive working independently and remotely; is ready to roll-up the sleeves and wear many hats
- Is highly organized; demonstrates ability to execute multiple priorities within given time-frames.
- Has strong business sense and industry expertise
- Is adaptable and can take constructive suggestions in stride
- Is able to travel, as required, to sell and represent Green Key Programs in Canada, and the US
- An undergraduate university degree or college diploma in a relevant program
- 10+ years’ experience in a market development and/or sales role
- Strong preference for those with significant lodging industry experience
- Experience working in or with the sustainability industry is an asset
The Hotel Association of Canada provides a competitive compensation package for its employees including RRSP & health insurance benefits. This is a salaried position and includes a performance-based component.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and a covering letter, explaining how they meet the requirements for this position, via e-mail to HR@hotelassociation.ca no later than July 5, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this opportunity, however, only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Vice-President University Relations
Thompson Rivers University
Chief Executive Officer
National Dental Hygiene Certification Board
Call for Nominations for the CSAE BC Council
Interval House Ottawa
Member Program & Event Coordinator
Alberta College of Family Physicians (ACFP)