Associate Executive Director
Associate Executive Director Responsibilities
- We will only accept applications from qualified/experienced association managers.
- This is not a virtual position. To qualify you must be able to work out of the Essentient office.
Serve as an Associate Executive Director for one of Essentient’s clients. This position will eventually become the primary point of contact for the assigned client and their leadership. You will work with other Essentient Association Management team members, including staff and contractors, to fulfill position responsibilities with our other association clients.
Within the Scope of Services defined for each client, the Associate Executive Director provides services to support client associations in the areas of:
Leadership (Governance, Board and Committee Support)
- Provide professional counsel to client Board of Directors.
- Attend all board meetings.
- Contribute to the formulation of client policies, programs and procedures.
- Implement board decisions.
- Balance the clients' programs and services with their mission statement and strategic plan.
- Help clients set realistic goals, strategies and tactics.
- Take the initiative to help clients implement strategies and tactics and achieve their goals.
- Manage projects to ensure targets, deadlines and financial goals are met.
- Report to respective Boards on a regular basis.
- Work with support staff as appropriate on execution of responsibilities.
- Keep Clients' Presidents or designated contacts fully informed of matters affecting the association.
- Provide committee support.
- Take a proactive role in providing leadership support and actively participate in clients' meetings.
- Working with our event planner, help to plan and manage logistics of some meetings and events. This may include RFPs, venue selection, contract negotiations, food and beverage, A/V, planning and marketing timelines, working with committee on program/speakers and coordination of marketing materials and communications.
- Assist with the development and management of event budgets.
- Work with staff to insure all meeting details are successfully handled.
- Drive and monitor event marketing including sponsorship/exhibit sales.
- Travel onsite to events as needed to manage event operations.
- Work with support staff on online meeting registration.
- Assist clients with developing strategies and tactics to sustain and grow membership.
- Share latest best practices on membership with board/committees.
- Work with support staff in developing and disseminating membership surveys as requested by client.
- Implement membership campaigns as requested by client.
- Assist clients with budget development and maintaining adherence to the budget.
- Regularly monitor clients' financial positions; send monthly financial reports to Clients' Presidents and Treasurers accompanied by an executive summary.
- Work with Essentient Association Management’s staff accountant to fulfill financial responsibilities requested by the clients including presenting and explaining financial statements as needed.
Communications & Publications
- Work with communications staff to create clients' marketing collateral.
- Work with communications staff in sending broadcast e-mails.
- Work with communications staff in ensuring clients' web sites are kept up to date.
- Balance and allocate resources to meet client and Essentient Association Management objectives.
- Maintain effective working relationships with officers, members, client staff, vendors and other parties associated with meeting the clients’ needs.
- Understand, anticipate, and interpret the client’s needs, goals and plans.
- Provide strong leadership to the client: set objectives, plan strategy, develop budgets, plan and execute actions, and report and interpret results. Overall responsibility is to optimize the client’s satisfaction.
- Plan and prioritize all of the sub-activities related to the above points with the goal of achieving agreed business aims.
- Attend and present at client meetings and functions, plus internal meetings; observe and report in both directions to ensure clarity and understanding is achieved and all client business activities function smoothly.
- Orchestrate the cross-functional business flow integrating Essentient’s administrative, finance and communications staff with the client’s team.
- Communicate, liaise, and negotiate internally and externally ensuring all participants understand tasks and timelines and be accountable, as the manager, for the results.
- Effectively manage files and materials, personal time and productivity.
- Effectively use Essentient’s technical resources and available client resources to gather required information or communicate internally and externally.
- Plan, produce and deliver professional meeting packages, reports and presentations for the client.
- Respond to and follow up internal and external enquiries using appropriate and timely methods.
- Attend training to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills.
- Travel as required to clients’ board and other meetings which may include overnights and occasional night/weekend work.
- University degree or college diploma in general arts or business.
- 5 plus years working in association management. A CAE designation, while not mandatory, is desired.
- Tech-savvy with the ability to quickly learn new applications. (Essentient currently works in a PC environment and utilizes the most up to date programs.)
- Ability to communicate in both official languages, while not mandatory, will be an advantage.
- A very positive, professional and flexible demeanor is required.
- Must be a strategic thinker with the ability to anticipate the needs of the clients; to learn quickly, organize details with minimal supervision; and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Strong customer service focus and the ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and editing skills.
- Fanatical attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines.
To apply, please send your resume with cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com by Friday, June 8, 2018